Transform a water tank into a "pool"

metRo_

Jun 8, 2015
Porto, Portugal
Hi,

I have the following "water tank"(by google translator but searching for tank on google I can't find what I want to tell so you can also help me identifying the word for it!) 14050055.jpg but it is a little old and have some leaks. The water also goes green after 2 or 3 weeks. So i want to add a pump and filter.

The "water tank" has 4.75m * 3.75m * 1m = 18m^3

First I'll apply an water proofing product from a Portuguese company http://www.diera.pt/?cod=368&s=5&ss=14&cat=12&subcat=49&pag=1 (unfortunately they don't have a english datasheet version )

From what I have read on the last days I need to add a pump, filter, skimmer for water output, "water input" (is that the name for the water that comes from the filter?) and also an input for "pool aspirator". Is that all?

1 - I should choose the pump and filter so I can filter 1.5 times the "water tank" each day, is that correct?
Will it work ok Monobloco filtragem areia - 5000 L/H GRE - Leroy Merlin? 18000 / 5000L/h = 3.6h ~ 4h each day. That kind of power is ok to use the aspirator? The person on that store (leroy merlin) said I should buy this one to be able to use the aspirator Monobloco filtragem - D300 0.33CV QP - Leroy Merlin but that has a less suction power (only 4000L/h) :s

2 - Water output: is the skimmer ok for water output or should I have a main drain also?

3 - Installation of skimmer and "water input" should be on opposite sides, is that ok?

4 - I also read that water treatment could be done using chlorine or salt. Salt systems start all at 1000Euros(1000$) so for now I'll use chlorine.

I think thats all about my doubts on how to do it!

Thank you and sorry for some bad translations!

If I were going to try doing this cheaply I would consider an Intex Sand filter/pump combination like http://www.swimpools.eu/article.php?query=28648gs|29058|zwd1007 or even this smaller version http://www.swimpools.eu/article.php?query=28646gs|29058|zwd1007 combined with an Intex add on wall mount skimmer Swimpools.eu for Intex and Bestway swimmingpools then rig some type of over the edge return line using regular plumbing fittings. The Intex stuff is not the best out there, but it does certainly provide a good value for the price (at least it does here in the US).

1) I agree with Isaac that one of the Intex setups (with or without the SWG) would be good here. Also realize there is no need to run for 1.5 turn-overs each day.

2) Many of the smaller pools only have a skimmer (or even just a wall port) and do not have a floor drain.

3) The orientation of the skimmer and the return jet are not very critical. Ideally you want the skimmer on the downwind side of the pool.

4) A saltwater system is in fact still a chlorine pool. The SWG cell just makes the chlorine for you instead of you having to add it.

One thing I want to point out is that lack of pump / filter was not most of the reason for the pool going green. Algae starts due to a chemistry problem, specifically a lack of adequate chlorine which is a function of your stabilizer level. See the FC/CYA Chart.

I have the following "water tank"(by google translator but searching for tank on google I can't find what I want to tell so you can also help me identifying the word for it!)

Welcome to TFP metRo_! I think the word you might be looking for is "cistern". Also in this case "water input" is called "return". You can have your skimmer and return on the same side for convience, the water will mix well. I have a 64000L pool and the return is right next to the skimmer and it works just fine. I also agree that a smaller pump and filter will work just fine. Proper chemistry is the most important part of keeping pools clean, filtration is second most important.

Good luck with this. Looks like it will be a very nice place to relax!

If I were going to try doing this cheaply I would consider an Intex Sand filter/pump combination like http://www.swimpools.eu/article.php?query=28648gs|29058|zwd1007 or even this smaller version http://www.swimpools.eu/article.php?query=28646gs|29058|zwd1007 combined with an Intex add on wall mount skimmer Swimpools.eu for Intex and Bestway swimmingpools then rig some type of over the edge return line using regular plumbing fittings. The Intex stuff is not the best out there, but it does certainly provide a good value for the price (at least it does here in the US).

1) I agree with Isaac that one of the Intex setups (with or without the SWG) would be good here.

I have read a lot of posts here and while the people like the intex salt system almost everyone said that the intex pump and filter aren't good. Per example this user New to TFP. Wanted to share my pool and upgrades!!!! use a SWG from intex but pump+filter from another brand.

Also realize there is no need to run for 1.5 turn-overs each day.
3) The orientation of the skimmer and the return jet are not very critical. Ideally you want the skimmer on the downwind side of the pool.
You can have your skimmer and return on the same side for convience, the water will mix well. I have a 64000L pool and the return is right next to the skimmer and it works just fine. I also agree that a smaller pump and filter will work just fine.

So I think I'm going for something like that:
Untitled.jpg

Also realize there is no need to run for 1.5 turn-overs each day.
Any advice on how to choose the pump and filter power? Per example on Isaac answer how should I decide between 7900L/h or 10500L/h?

Thank you all :)

Primarily the complaints against the Intex filters are against the cartridge filters, not the sand filter, as to deciding on which filter pump combination to go with, I would say go with the larger one unless you have budgetary reasons to go with the smaller one (note the larger pump will also consume more electricity). Your skimmer and return locations look like they should work ok, you will want the return to be below the water line so it does not splash most of the time and probably pointing slightly towards the house so to setup a slowly spinning water pattern. You should note that Intex also offers an SWG which you can easily combine with this setup Swimpools.eu for Intex and Bestway swimmingpools If you do use this Intex SWG you may need to remove the copper bars from the unit (search the forum on intex swg and copper).

Primarily the complaints against the Intex filters are against the cartridge filters, not the sand filter, as to deciding on which filter pump combination to go with, I would say go with the larger one unless you have budgetary reasons to go with the smaller one (note the larger pump will also consume more electricity). Your skimmer and return locations look like they should work ok, you will want the return to be below the water line so it does not splash most of the time and probably pointing slightly towards the house so to setup a slowly spinning water pattern. You should note that Intex also offers an SWG which you can easily combine with this setup Swimpools.eu for Intex and Bestway swimmingpools If you do use this Intex SWG you may need to remove the copper bars from the unit (search the forum on intex swg and copper).

The store where I looking to buy the products have that model Sistema de Cloraao Salina Krystal Clear Intex ate 26.5 m3 56010 and for what I found on the forum it doesn't have the copper bars (hope they are better than the one with :) They have two models, 5gr/h and 12gr/h which one should I choose?

Bigger is usually better for SWG ... means you do not have to run the pump as long and thus pay less for electricity.

How can I estimate how many time I need to have it working? I read on pool school that a very basically rule is to run the pump at least 1 turnover per day. And I need to have the pump sync with the SWG, right? If I have my pump runing 4 hours per day how do I know if the cheaper one is suficient or not?

How do you usually program the timer for it? Connecting all the devices to same plug and use a timer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You did not read that in our Pool School and we do not say you need 1 turn over. Read this: Determine Pump Run Time

The SWG should only be on when the pump is on. I think the Intex SWG has no output control so it is either on or off. You would use a timer to control the pump and SWG and just adjust the time so that you maintain adequate FC.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these so we are sure we are speaking the same language (maybe through a translator ;) ):
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Another way of putting what Jason said is that your SWG will likely be your limiting factor for minimum run time to reach your desired FC (Free Chlorine) level. One concern I have with your location is the availability of good test kits (something that seems very lacking in most of Europe), if this is the case you may need to be careful what chemicals you add at start up and use a calculated dose of stabilizer and or stabilized chlorine products to keep your CYA levels under control, and you may need to run at a lower CYA level than we generally suggest if you can't get a FAS-DPD chlorine test where you live and can only get OTO, or DPD Chlorine tests which will only test up to 5 ppm FC or so.

Another way of putting what Jason said is that your SWG will likely be your limiting factor for minimum run time to reach your desired FC (Free Chlorine) level. One concern I have with your location is the availability of good test kits (something that seems very lacking in most of Europe), if this is the case you may need to be careful what chemicals you add at start up and use a calculated dose of stabilizer and or stabilized chlorine products to keep your CYA levels under control, and you may need to run at a lower CYA level than we generally suggest if you can't get a FAS-DPD chlorine test where you live and can only get OTO, or DPD Chlorine tests which will only test up to 5 ppm FC or so.
Just created a topic asking where I can buy it in europe :s

So to get the desire FC is not only related pool capacity but with other factors so the best choiçe is to buy the powerfull SWG, right? I dont want to spend money I dont need too, I'm saying that because 5000 gallons looks so little.

You did not read that in our Pool School and we do not say you need 1 turn over. Read this: Determine Pump Run Time

The SWG should only be on when the pump is on. I think the Intex SWG has no output control so it is either on or off. You would use a timer to control the pump and SWG and just adjust the time so that you maintain adequate FC.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these so we are sure we are speaking the same language (maybe through a translator ;) ):
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
i finished the homework :)

Could we have some practise class now? Eheh

some of the points used in school about the pump runtime i'll only be able to define after have the pool setted up and running so can i use the 1 turnover as a estimate? If yes and if my pump is able to 5000L/h and supose ill runnit 4 hours a day there is no way to estimate the SWG system? On a intex 5gr/h I'll get 20gr, is that ok? Too little?

At 18000 liters or 4755 gallons you will be good
and this SWG Swimpools.eu for Intex and Bestway swimmingpools

do you think it is similar in chlorine production capacity (12gr/h) couldn't find the value for the one you point me http://www.piscinasdesmontaveis.pt/acessorios-para-piscinas-cloradores-salinos/sistema-de-cloracao-salina-krystal-clear-Intel-ate-56-8-m3-56011.html because it is cheaper from here and it looks like the new version without the cooper bars.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.