Shock question

Hey guys! I'm new here, and I apologize if this isn't in the right forum. Let me explain my current situation...

I am helping a friend with her above ground pool. It is a polygroup pro series 5061 gallon pool. The pump in it died and it turned into a swamp. I replaced the pump with an intex 1500 GPH filter pump, and have converted it to a saltwater system(The Intex saltwater system), and had to use some adapters to make everything work. Water flow is good, and have already added salt(Did it while it was still green). I have also ordered a Taylor k-2006 kit with expedited delivery and should have it in the next day or two.

Someone at a pool store said to initially hit it with about 8 lbs of shock, which I did(after reading through everything I could find here, I used the concentrated 8.25% clorox bleach you can get at walmart). I have been checking it every few hours(about 2) to clean the filters(we are actually running with a second filter in the skimmer just as a precaution to keep minor debris out of the pump motor(I'm paranoid about it after spending 100 bucks on it).

I did notice within 2 hours a drastic change to the tint of the water, and, I thought more was better, and added an additional 5 lbs. I know I've probably way overdone it, but I also did it because I know for a fact she has never put stabilizer or CYA in the water. Ever.

My question is this:

As of right now, there is absolutely zero green in the pool. It is totally blue(I've taken a dip with a measuring cup I used to assist in getting the bleach as precise as I could), and it is completely free of green, however it's really cloudy. Granted, we won't hit the 24 hour mark until about 11am tomorrow morning, my questions are as follows:

Should I just let the FC come down(I'm assuming it's at an astronomical level)?

Also, I've read that the PH should be between 7.2, and the initial test I did was at 6.8, but I don't trust the crappy basic kit she had.

Should I just leave this alone until I get my taylor, or will the cloudiness clear up?

I have ran a vacuum across the bottom, but I get nothing off it. I have also ran a skimmer across it and got nothing. I'm assuming that at the super high level of chlorine, anything on the bottom has been annihlated.

Can you guys offer some advice from here forward please? And I know it's gonna be way hard without a halfway decent test reading, but I really don't trust this basic kit. It won't even test FC, just combined chlorine and bromine(It's a cheap Academy Sports test kit, the Kokido 5-way reagent one).

Thanks so much, and, again, I apologize if this is in the wrong place!

Btw, you can call me Rusty. :)

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

It is virtually impossible to give valid advice until you get valid test results. No one can tell you to go UP or Down until you tell us where you are.

While you are waiting for your kit, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It'll get you off to a good start.

Got my Taylor 2006c today. Ph is below 7 which is as low as my test kit goes. Turns a yellowish color when I test
FC is 23.5 (took 57 drops to clear pink)
TA is also above the scale
CH showed blue immediately, not red so I assume CH is low
CYA is 50

Shoukd I raise the Ph first and cya and shock again? It is a saltwater pool but the swg has been off all along.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it's an above ground vinyl. Does CH matter?

Hello Rusty and Welcome. I'm a new member myself so I'm not going to offer much for you but I do know that in my thread that I've started (I started with a green swamp a few weeks ago too my friend) that Pooldv pointed out to me (about the 5th post in my thread) that the Ph test isn't accurate if the FC is above 10. You will have to wait and see what the guys recommend, I'd hate to steer you in the wrong direction but I'm betting you're going to have to wait for the FC to drop some before getting an accurate Ph reading. I'm not sure how long that would take with and CYA of 50. These guys will steer you right though if you listen. Thankfully, I'm almost thru the mess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Rusty. Remember you will not be completely done until the pool passes 3 tests.
Water is clean and Clear
CC is .5 or less
Over night Chorline loss test is less than 1ppm.

I'm dealing with cloudy water too in a new pool. Only been up for a couple of weeks. These folks can help you. Learn all you can and listen to them.
Good Luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.