Question about CYA test

May 15, 2015
Brooklyn NY
Hi. I use the Taylor K2006 test kit to test my water and the one test that I never really know if I am doing right is the CYA test. My question is, do I stop dripping sample into the small tube as soon as the black dot begins to disappear or does it have to be completely not viewable before I stop with the solution? At around 75 I can almost see the dot completely gone but it is very faintly visible. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

A general note about the end point. The end point is where the black dot on the bottom of the vial disappears from sight. Therefore, it should be just beyond being barely visible. The difference between being barely visible and where it just disappears should probably not be more than about 1 or 2 ppm. In any case, this is one of the more difficult tests to get good consistency and accuracy.

Here's a tip that helps me sometimes - when you think the dot is gone, look away from the tube for a few seconds. Look at the trees, sky, the pool, whatever else is around, then look back and see if you can still see the dot. It helps to refresh my eyes, for lack of a better way to explain it. Just focusing on that dot for a bit can play tricks on your eyes sometimes, kind of like burn-in on a TV. If that makes sense...sometimes I have trouble explaining things and keeping a post short at the same time.

Also, make sure to do the test in bright sunlight, with the sun to your back.

Im glad someone asked this, adn posted the pics from Taylor, as I had never seen those before. If you look at their examples of the Test End, I can see the edges of the black dot. Not easily, but it can be seen. And just in case you ask, Im not talking about the outise ring that is the edge of the tube or sticker. I can see the edges of the black dot, very slightly. Can someone help me on this. Am I crazy here?

Thank you everyone for the replies and suggestions. I was always concentrating on pouring the solution into the vial until there is absolutely no traces of the black dot. Even beyond barely visible and that would give me a lower CYA reading. I'm trying to keep my CYA between 70 and 80 as per the recommended level. I've been doing the test in the evening time in my house and even though the lighting in my kitchen is pretty good, probably not as food as doing it in daylight with sun to my back.

Side question. How often should I be testing CYA? Also, which tests should I perform on a more continuous basis? I want my water crystal clear ALL the time. Thanks everyone. Great site, so glad I found it.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I just bought the R7065 standard solution (which should measure 50ppm). I think I could still see the black, but not the crisp outline that defined the black circle. I was a little surprised that the black wasn't completely obscured. As someone mentioned, the transition from the clear outline of the circle to just seeing something down there was only a few ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you everyone for the replies and suggestions. I was always concentrating on pouring the solution into the vial until there is absolutely no traces of the black dot. Even beyond barely visible and that would give me a lower CYA reading. I'm trying to keep my CYA between 70 and 80 as per the recommended level. I've been doing the test in the evening time in my house and even though the lighting in my kitchen is pretty good, probably not as food as doing it in daylight with sun to my back.

Side question. How often should I be testing CYA? Also, which tests should I perform on a more continuous basis? I want my water crystal clear ALL the time. Thanks everyone. Great site, so glad I found it.

It depends on what source of sanitation you are using as to how often you need to check CYA. Most people here use liquid chlorine to sanitize which does not contain any stabilizer (another word for CYA). If you're using something like trichlor tabs, you're always adding CYA to the pool because the tablets contain stabilizer.

You don't really get rid of CYA unless you drain water. Therefore, the level stays pretty consistent and you don't need to check it every day or anything like that. If you're anal, I'd say once a week. More likely, once a month or so is fine. Obviously, if you know you've added stabilizer or use tablets you want to keep a closer eye on it.

You really should check your FC & CC levels daily or every other day. That's the test that needs to be performed most frequently.

I see that you have a salt water system. I don't know anything about that so somebody else will have to chime in with any specifics.

Thanks for your reply. I dont use any chlorine tablets since I have a salt system. I check fc, cc and pH every other day. Just wanted to know if there was more I can do to ensure I don't allow my water to go bad by not checking something. As for being anal, the answer is yes. Lol. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.