Do water bugs mean algae?

May 14, 2015
Omaha
Current test FC 7, cc 0, ch 280, ph 7.8, TA 130, ca 50

Been through a slam 3 weeks ago. Since I have improved ca from 80 and TA from 250 to current. The lowest FC has been is 6.6. We missed a few days on brushing but not more than one day in arow. Pool is clear with only the rust stains I get from my well water on the floor and walls (getting better since opening). Today saw a large increase in water bugs. I believe backswimmers. Since slam there's been a few bugs with small increase then there would only be a few. Besides going through a slam are there any other suggestions? I've heard certain algecides or dish soap (don't know how soap effects a pools chemistry) are possible ways to kill existing ones.

The presence of water bugs (e.g., backswimmers) is not related to algae. More likely, you've just hit the time of year where their populations increase. I occasionally get a couple in my pool and I have never had algae. You can try bumping FC up to the high end of the recommended range for your CYA and/or add some borates to the pool in the range of 30-50 ppm. Those measures may reduce the number of water bugs that get into the pool but don't be surprised if you get one or two from time to time.

I get a couple every year and have borates. They are not as noticeable now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.