New Pool Build in Massachusetts

Jun 14, 2010
Massachusetts
I've been using this forum for some time. We had built a pool at our old home and loved it, and after three Ye as at our new home have decided to take the plunge again. While we loved our pool as a finished product last time, but the process was not pleasant. This time we are working with a smaller company that uses subcontractors, but after all of my research I am comfortable with those people and am feeling good. I also learned about them from this forum and between that reference and the others I received I am feeling good. (I also am enjoying that my construction manager is a woman!)

We are in permitting now and she is coming to mark out the pool Wednesday. Digging should start soon. Luckily, having done this before, my expectations on timing are much more relaxed.

I've attached some pictures (complete with kids and dogs since everyone was out tonight) and my builder's concept. We have a freestanding spa, which is not as lovely as the attached but a true gift in the New England winters. I love looking at other's pictures so wanted to share some, as well. Very excited to swim again soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Looks like a great setup! Our three labs that have long since passed on are probably looking from above wishing we had our current pool when they were living. We probably never would have got them out - summer or winter!

Love this forum because it is full of good information without too much judgment. People seem to appreciate everyone's choices. So sorry your labs have passed, BoDarville. We lost our first guy just after we installed our first pool. These guys aren't swimmers, but they will love that sun shelf. Hoping to get them in. The yellow one is snuggled up next to me now with her ball under her chin. Maybe throwing that will get her swimming!

I really like the change in texture and material you took when transitioning to the fire pit. That is going to look great.
You may find you would benefit from a little more deck width near the house. That traffic area will get congested with both through traffic and the table being there.

The decking on this sketch is off and we thought the same thing. We plan to use natural field stones to create a path through the grass to the fire pit and use similar stones to create the patio in that area. Then we are going to use large rocks to create the fire pit. We like the natural look and plan to do a mixture of materials. Thinking Blue Granite or French Gray for pebble finish. The waterfall is still under discussion but we are plumbing for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Waiting on the permit, but she sprayed out the pool yesterday. I really appreciate how she listens to us and also educates us through the process. Now we need to move the swinger and wait for the town to say "go!"

Wow. Meant to say swingset. Auto correct made me seem a little naughty! Questions are good. Having been through this before, I am more comfortable and trying to trust more. I think my PB is fair, wants to make a profit but will not do so at my expense. That to me is a great way to run a business. Fair all around. I'll post pictures when we get to the next phase.

Permit process seems to be close so our PB is thinking digging will begin next Thursday. Timing couldn't be better as my son's 6th grade promotion is Wednesday. I have to say I love my PB and how she communicates with me. She has been spot-on recommending folks for decking and never pulls any punches. Though I love to save money, that type of relationship is worth it's weight in gold. Feeling very happy tonight.

Dig day! Well, our dig started today. I was so nervous because it was supposed to happen yesterday and I was going to be home all day. However, a lot of rain on Sunday meant a wet yard for the trucks, so they pushed it until today. I had to take my mother to visit some friends so I couldn't be here for much of the dig. It went really well for the most part. We knew there were rocks in the yard and a chance of ledge. They hit ledge only in one corner, so we need to pay a bit to get it out, but in the grand scheme it could have been much, much worse. I can't believe how many beautiful rocks came out of our yard. I see many landscaping uses for them already. Some will need to get removed. I love the shape of the pool and I can see how it will all come together now. Of course, we have a long way to go, but it was a pretty good day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.