return jet ring discoloring in the pool

Jun 5, 2012
Hi,

The ring inside the pool around the return jet is discoloring when i touch it. Do you know how can i clean it? or i have to replace the ring?

Attachments

• 20150607_201853.jpg
    20150607_201853.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 64
Will the discoloration wipe/clean completely off? Kind of hard for me to tell by the pic what it is exactly. Others may know. When I had a discoloration around my ring before, it was typically a bit of algae trying to grab onto something. Do you have any test results you could post as well?

Well, compared to the Recommended Levels chart, you are pretty close. Let's see:
FC - You can go between 3-7; your CYA is on the low end, so we need to watch chlorine consumption (barely enough to protect your FC)
PH - could go up a notch (between 7.5-7.8)
CYA 30 - again on the low end (30-50); might want to add a little stabilizer
TA good (70-90)
CH - really not a player for vinyl. I wouldn't try to change it any more

So a little adjusting, but not sure it's enough to be related to your stain. Does the material you rub off come off clean (like algae) or is it sticky and hard to wipe-off the return just and/or your finger?

I have no idea what the stains are, but your test results look fine.

Have you recently slammed the pool and perhaps thats dead algae?
Did that very recently appear all by itself?

How was your pool when you opened? Was it a mess and thats the remnants of it?

If it was me, I think I would bet a soft bristle brush, unscrew the thing and clean it all off.

That stuff on your finger looks like what rubs off when you touch or rub a deteriorating rubber gasket. I has seen it every time I have ever changed a faucet gasket in my house. Unfortunately, just like algae, once it is rubbed off it must build up again before you can rub it off again.

Yes, i see this happen in the toilet water line rubber. It is off from the rubber ring. I asked the pool store, they said this may caused by my water chemical. That is why i added my CH from 110 to 210 this year. I see this happen last year, but i didn't clean it, just don't know should i replace it or just clean it. Look like it will build up again.

Typical pool store bull manure, because they have no clue but, don't want to tell you that. It is a fact of life that rubber gaskets deteriorate and start to do what you are seeing. If it is a problem, all you can do is replace the gasket. You may want to install a new gasket made of a synthetic material such as silicon. The downside is you will have to drain your pool below the level of the jet. You do not want to get water behind your liner.

BTW, in a vinyl pool, your CH could be 0 and it would not hurt anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.