Green pool... Help please!

Apr 27, 2015
Los Alamitos, ca
Hello
Thank you so much for your posting of problems/issues and the solutions.

I'm using the Taylor 2006 test kit.
My pool is 15,000 inground. Starite cartridge filter. Pentair intellipump variable speed. Solar heating panels with Suntouch controller.
I am using liquid chlorine 12.5% and liquid acid from the local pool store.

My pool has been been for couple weeks now and today it got worst.

here are the test results from the last two days:
6/6/15:
FC = 8.5
CC = 0
PH = 7.8 - 8.0
TA = 150
CYA = 75

6/7/15:
FC = 5
CC = 0
PH = 8.0 - 8.4
TA = 150
CYA = 55

Your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The Poolmath recommendation is to add 18 oz of washing soda or 39 oz of borax by volume, is this correct?? I thought to lower the pH to the proper level, i would need to add muriatic acid.
Thank You
Duke

Welcome! :wave:

Don't add anything just yet...

How'd the CYA drop from 75 to 55 in one day? The only way possible is if you replaced 25% of the pool water. So there must be some kind of testing error. Not to worry; you're not the only one who has problems with that test. Repeat it as many times as necessary with that same sample until you're sure of what you're seeing. There are videos on youtube if anything seems unclear.

Okay, second point, Soda Ash and Borax RAISE pH. Yours needs to come down. Better check for a typo in poolmath. Maybe you entered your target too high. It should be 7.2 target.

Lastly, you need to perform the Shock Level And Maintain process to get rid of the green. To do that, you really need to know your CYA. You can do it. Don't go to the pool store and have them doublecheck. They'll probably get it wrong even worse than you.

Some inspirational reading. Start with the last page and work backwards up the list for the most recent ones. If they can do it, you can do it.

Last night I added half gallon of muriatic acid.

Here's the new test data today

FC 2.5
CC 0
PH 7.2 - 7.4
TA 120
CYA 70

The recommended shock level from pool math is 28 ppm which is equivalent to 407 oz of liquid chlorine. Is this sound right. Should I start the SLAM process? The pump should be on 24/7 correct. Also does the pump speed (rpm) matter? Currently it's set to 2000 rpm.

Thanks

Last night I added half gallon of muriatic acid.

Here's the new test data today

FC 2.5
CC 0
PH 7.2 - 7.4
TA 120
CYA 70

The recommended shock level from pool math is 28 ppm which is equivalent to 407 oz of liquid chlorine. Is this sound right. Should I start the SLAM process? The pump should be on 24/7 correct. Also does the pump speed (rpm) matter? Currently it's set to 2000 rpm.

Thanks
Sounds right, depending on the strength of the bleach. Low speed is fine. You just want to keep it circulating all night.

Hello all..
Thanks for all the great advises.

My pool today is no longer GREEN but it's not crystal clear yet. The FC level seems to stabilize (no chlorine loss overnight)
Questions:
1. Should I continue to keep the FC at the shock level?
2. when should I start testing for pH and TA to get it to normal range?
3. I've been running the pump 24/7, should I continue?

Thank you in advance.

You are only done with SLAM when you pass ALL three criteria: 1. water crystal clear 2. overnight loss 1 or less. 3. CC < 0.5

Maintain your shock level.

pH testing is only accurate when FC is < 10. Don't worry about TA until the rest of your levels are balanced.

Continue running your pump 24/7 until your SLAM is complete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi All
The SLAM is complete. met all 3 conditions. Thank You very much.

Since the FC is still above 10 and the pH is 7.8 - 8.0 TA is 120 and CYA is 70, I should wait for the FC to go below 10 before i can adjust the pH level? My CYA higher then the recommended level. In order to lower the TA, I have to partially drain the pool which I don't want to do due to the drought situation in CA. What are my options?

Thanks

Once your FC is below 10, then adjust pH. Your TA will come down over time as you maintain your pH. Each time your pH hits 7.8 or higher, drop the pH to 7.2. Every time you add acid, the TA will come down.

Congrats on completing the SLAM!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.