pool cleaner

no-mas

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2008
FL
Hi all -
Our pool doesn't close over the winter - we just shorten the filter times and check the water less frequently. Now that the weather has cooled and I'm no longer heating the water, I've become lazy and leave my suction cleaner in the water all the time. Is there a problem with my doing so? In warmer weather the cleaner might go in every few days, or as needed, but we always take it out when we use the pool; however will I now cause myself any problems by leaving it in all the time?

In our last pool, we kept the Polaris 280 in the water year round. Now, we live in Texas, where it rarely freezes, but he seemed to be fine. The hose would get a little stiffer and create some issues not seen in warmer months, but no deterioration that I was aware of. Obviously, running year round will put more wear and tear on the guy. 9 years of 365/24/7 and nothing but normal maintenance required.

I think if you neglect the chemicals during the winter, as many do, this may all go out the windo.

Some others may have differing opinions, but that's my story.

There'll be more of a drag on your water flow leaving a suction side cleaner permanently in line, but as long as your pump is staying primed you're looking at the same situation as El Duderino. Less water flow, more wear on the cleaner, but all in all ok.

I wouldn't suggest it if you only have one skimmer, however, because I find the average skimmer does more work more consistently than a suction APC.

Also, it will live longer if you take it out when adding chems, especially when shocking.

Both make a big difference. A pressure side cleaner doesn't introduce debris into your equipment, so it won't add to your filter's burden, and it won't take up a skimmer. The addition of the booster pump means the cleaner will run more consistently and will only help your pool's circulation.

Most folks who run cleaners 24/7 fall into the pressure side w/ booster category. I know a few that leave their robotic cleaners in 24/7, but most of those have a maximum run-time so you have to disconnect and reconnect the power to it to make it run more than about 30 minutes straight.

Suction side cleaners can work 24/7 but you'll have to keep a close eye on it.

Thanks for the info, guys. I have a jacuzzi brand suction cleaner - essentially the same as the poolvergneugen pool cleaner. I also have a dedicated suction line. Pretty much the only thing I add regularly to the pool is muriatic acid, which I add on the opposite side of the pool from where the cleaner is at the time.

Spishex, I'm not sure what you mean by "There'll be more of a drag on your water flow leaving a suction side cleaner permanently in line." I never lose prime...

Dude, I don't ignore it over the winter, but lack of use and cooler temperatures make the pool's chemical need very predictable. I test weekly instead of every day or two.

When you add the 25' or so of corrugated hose that usually accompanies a suction side cleaner to your system, you add to the total suction side head on the pump, which in turn decreases your overall flow rate.

This is more relevant on the suction side than on the pressure side because a pool pump is pretty good at pushing water, but not so good at sucking water up. So all things being equal an increase in suction head is harder for your pump to deal with than an increase in pressure head.

I see what you're saying. My pump is probably oversized at 1.5 hp, and is way too strong to run the cleaner alone, so it is always run in combination with my skimmers.

Thanks for all the info!

I have the poolvergneugen 4 wheel model I leave in 24x7x365. Only problem I see so far is having to backwash usually once extra time during the winter, and the wheels wear more. At $60 a pop for the 4 wheels on mine, I might take it out this winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.