Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: draining pool water

1. Back To Top    #1

draining pool water

hi
    i put alot of bleach in my pool water to clear algae. once this process is complete , according to pool school , i should shock the water and drain water below skimmer and return so i can close the pool. with all the bleach used in my pool water over the past 4 days to get the algae out of the water is there anything that would be unsafe about draining this water with the bleach in it into my grass or into the sewer system .

thank you

tom
    7,000 GALLON ABOVE GROUND
    CARTRIGE FILTER
    1 1/2 HP PUMP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: draining pool water

Nope. You could swim in if it was warmer, and the chlorine will be quickly consumed when it contacts organic material.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree, I've drained gallons and gallons of shock-level pool water and my grass and trees have never shown an adverse reaction.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

My Grass actually grew better after draining the pool water with chlorine and shock in it...NO problem...Just watch for water draining into neighbors yards...in some places that is a code violation.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

Some types of grass will lighten when subjected to a high chlorine water source. I drain my water into my house gutter drain line. The same line is used to drain water from the grass using lawn drain connections. The grass in the area of the drains grow roots into the drain line. The roots in the drain line pick up the chlorinated water and the grass around the drains turn white. The good news is that the grass doesn't die, it just turns white for a few days and then goes green again.

6. Back To Top    #6

But, you should check with your local water dept or county govt to see if there are
    rules about draining. Where I am, I can backwash onto the ground, but for draining
    it has to go into the sewer.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page