Getting My Pool Ready!

May 3, 2015
Seattle, WA
Hi all,

I am trying to get my pool cleaned up and ready, I am a first time pool owner. After using the pool store for a little bit, I've decided to go with the trouble free method.

I am waiting for my TF-100, which should be delivered Tuesday, so right now I only have tests from an old Guardex test kit and tests from the pool store. From these two tests I have 0 chlorine, 0 cya, and very low pH, < 6.6.

I still need to buy stabilizer to raise the CYA, so I don't want to add any chlorine just yet. However, is it okay for me to add Borax and increase my pH today, without increasing anything else for another couple of days? Or should chemicals be adjusted together?

Re: Getting my pool ready, raising pH first?

It is no problem to adjust only what needs adjusting. If you believe the pH is truly low, then raise it up (do you have a TA number as that impact the amount of borax needed?)

I would slow suggest you add a bottle of bleach the pool daily in the evening to keep some chlorine in the water.

What does the water look like?

If you have any pH Up or Soda Ash leftover from your days of being a pool store victim, use 'em up. Don't rush out and buy Borax if you already have something lying around.

There's no problem fixing one thing days before the other. 48 hours is more than the 30 minutes we recommend you wait between additions.

What does the water look like?

The water is a cloudy blue, can see the bottom of the shallow end, but not the deep end. I haven't added any bleach yet, but I did add some Borax this morning, but after this testing, seems like I'll need to add more.

First test:
Chlorine: 0
CYA: 0
pH: 6.8
TA: 50

Currently don't have any baking soda and probably can't get any until tomorrow. Is it okay to go ahead and raise everything else first and TA last? Also, any preference to doing this midday (85 currently) or waiting until about sunset?

Keep raising the pH until you get a reading in the 7s ... you only need to wait 30 minutes after adding the borax to retest.

You can start 30ppm of CYA dissolving in a sock now too.

Once you get the pH into the lower 7s, then you can start the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clear up the pool.

The TA is not too critical at this point. Add the borax for the pH and maybe get some baking soda tomorrow to get the TA up to about 70ppm.

Keep raising the pH until you get a reading in the 7s ... you only need to wait 30 minutes after adding the borax to retest.

You can start 30ppm of CYA dissolving in a sock now too.

Once you get the pH into the lower 7s, then you can start the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clear up the pool.

The TA is not too critical at this point. Add the borax for the pH and maybe get some baking soda tomorrow to get the TA up to about 70ppm.

Awesome thanks! So using pool math, when measuring pH to add and considering that I won't be adding baking soda right now, which TA level should I base the pH calculation to ("given TA of...")?

If your pH was up at 7 instead of 6.8 that could be possible.

Makes sense.

I will be away until Thursday, thus leaving my pool unattended for a couple of days. By the time I leave, pH and CYA will hopefully be at the appropriate range. I'm going to leave my pump running 24/hr a day. Should I add a gallon of bleach also? I will start slamming hopefully Thursday night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Alright, so the 4lb of CYA I added in a sock is still dissolving in the skimmer (it's been about three days), so hopefully it will all be dissolved by tonight. Once it's all dissolved, at what point is it safe to turn off the pool pump for a little bit?

Yes, I would have started adding bleach on day one to stop/slow the algae growth.

I added 2 gallons of bleach last night. Tested this morning and total chlorine is 0. Will go out and get more tonight.

Alright, so the 4lb of CYA I added in a sock is still dissolving in the skimmer (it's been about three days), so hopefully it will all be dissolved by tonight. Once it's all dissolved, at what point is it safe to turn off the pool pump for a little bit?

I added 2 gallons of bleach last night. Tested this morning and total chlorine is 0. Will go out and get more tonight.
Pump should have been on all along

Oh no it has! It has been on for the past four days.
Oops, I misread that. I swear you asked when to turn it on. :oops:

Off is whenever the CYA is gone. Just make sure it's on thirty minutes before you test and thirty minutes after you add any chemicals. The rest is up to you and your pool. Run it as little as you can and still keep the water clear and the surface skimmed.

Oops, I misread that. I swear you asked when to turn it on. :oops:

Off is whenever the CYA is gone. Just make sure it's on thirty minutes before you test and thirty minutes after you add any chemicals. The rest is up to you and your pool. Run it as little as you can and still keep the water clear and the surface skimmed.

Great thanks Richard!

I read it can take a while for CYA readings to show up. Can I assume that I added the correct amount of stabilizer to raise my CYA to my goal of 30 and SLAM my pool tonight according to what I believe the CYA should be at?

Great thanks Richard!

I read it can take a while for CYA readings to show up. Can I assume that I added the correct amount of stabilizer to raise my CYA to my goal of 30 and SLAM my pool tonight according to what I believe the CYA should be at?
Yes. Whatever your target was, assume the CYA is there and use that to determine the FC level.

Okay, all the CYA is gone. Raised TA to a target of 80. Will SLAM tonight.

Here are some pictures of my pool also.

On a side note, I am noticing a leak where my return is. You can see the wet platform in my pictures (the return is in the middle of the shallow end, right in front of the platform). My question is if you guys think this is a major problem at this moment? I have zero knowledge about pipes/leaks and if it is something I can ignore for now while I SLAM and get my pool cleaned up, I would prefer to do that.

2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.