High DE filter pressure, low water output..

Restomod

Apr 11, 2014
Dallas,Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm completely at my wits end with this situation and I have tried everything.

So with a clean DE filter, main pump basket, and skimmer baskets the pressure gauge and water return output is normal. After 30minutes pressure gauge increases and output decreases.

I have checked for clogging in skimmer lines, replaced suction side 3 way valve and suction side flapper valve. Thinking it was my pool pump (making noise), I replaced it as well....but the problem remains. Also spa drain slowly at time and constantly have to diver water to fill flapper chamber to to spa water feature.

Bother skimmers get good suction independently, but with one open and the other is opened I get air/lack of flow to the pump and pressure drops.

Only thing I can think is main drain has a clog?

Pressure increasing isn't caused by low flow in the skimmers or sucking air. That's a restriction after the impeller. That usually means the filter is dirty. Is your water really cloudy or green? That'll load up a DE filter in a big hurry, exactly the way you describe.

Overloading the filter with DE can also shorten the cycle time between backwashing. It never all comes out. When you say "clean DE filter" do you mean disassembled and sprayed clean with a hose, or just backwashing? If you're just backwashing, a good cleaning might be due.

Water was pretty dirty after getting 20inches of rain and dirt in Texas. Filter is clean (cleaned this morning) disassembled and cleaned and recharged the filter with proper amount of DE. Problem is I can't properly clean/filter pool because after 1hr pressure is high and output is zero.

The curse of the highly efficient DE filter and a filthy pool.

If that filter has a multiport valve, you have some options. Use recirculate a while and let the stuff settle and then try to vacuum to waste. If not, you're stuck backwashing every hour.

PS: Don't be tempted to run the filter without DE to simulate recirc. You'll just ruin the grids.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.