Snakes in the pool.... Problem?

May 28, 2014
North Dallas
We live in North Texas, and the pool was a new build and finally we are enjoying the pool this month's after all the rain...... Anyhow, I have been catching 3 small snakes, 10 inches long, around the shady part of the infinity spa, the water channel portion. Is there a reason to be concerned? The snakes are in the water channels where the infinity spa flows into.... And I catch them when I just scoop the leaves and whatever inside of those channel. The water chemistry is good, and the pool is clear. Do I have a snake problems that needs attention?
2dcbb6759977690b3abd34f5a1698cf3.jpg
1651e342bf529db12e3ee894a90528dd.jpg

If they are like the rattlesnake I had removed from my yard yesterday morning, that is a problem. If they are like the king snake we watched fighting with a bird yesterday afternoon, that is fine ;)

The bird won btw and the snake retreated into the rocks. :D

It got me scared because he was swimming to the big portion of the pool where children plays..... I did released the first two into the storm drain on the street.... Good to know that this is not venomous.... Anyone know why they keep getting into the pool?

Has it been real hot there? Could be they are looking to cool off, or perhaps looking for food (many snakes eat frogs and such).

They are no threat to people. :)

Btw, there are 4 species of venomous snakes in the U.S; rattlesnakes, copperheads, water moccasins, and coral snakes. All but the coral snake have a distinct triangle shaped head. The coral snake has red,yellow, and black bands (there's a non venomous King snake that has these bands, but in a different order). As you can see, the snakes you have don't match any of those characteristics.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! I saw a picture on FB somewhere saying to watch out for water moccasin since we had a lot if rain here last month..... So I thought that was it.... But thank you for your clarifications! Feel better now and will put them back to the drain or the creek aways down the street if I get another one..

We live in North Texas, and the pool was a new build and finally we are enjoying the pool this month's after all the rain...... Anyhow, I have been catching 3 small snakes, 10 inches long, around the shady part of the infinity spa, the water channel portion. Is there a reason to be concerned? The snakes are in the water channels where the infinity spa flows into.... And I catch them when I just scoop the leaves and whatever inside of those channel. The water chemistry is good, and the pool is clear. Do I have a snake problems that needs attention?
2dcbb6759977690b3abd34f5a1698cf3.jpg
1651e342bf529db12e3ee894a90528dd.jpg
I know this is an older post, but what tile is this on your spa? I love it and have been looking for something similar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.