New to pool care

Holy smokes! You need to get some bleach in there ASAP! If your water is clear, shoot for a target of 7ppm based on your CYA of 60. According to the poolmath calculator, that's just over a gallon (plus 2 cups) of the regular 8.25% bleach from the supermarket. I'd suggest picking-up 3-4 jugs now and have the others on stand-by since we normally lose FC every day due to the sun.

Now if your water is not crystal clear, then you may be on the verge of an algae outbreak, and that's a whole other story (much more bleach). So stay on that FC and let us know if you have any questions.

Not necessarily. Next time you are at home, check the FC again to make sure it is at your target level or close with no drastic drops. Also make sure the water is clear and you don't see ANY type of growth in the pool, on the ladder, or anything else. Sometimes the pool will start to feel a but slimy inside too which is an indication something is starting to brew. Lastly, you can do an over-night test (OCLT) and check to see if by the next morning you lost more than 1ppm of FC from the time you went to bed to when you woke up. If you did, or any of the items above was true, then you could start a SLAM. If you do have to do a SLAM, best to do it sooner than later before water gets worse, that way you should be done quicker. But if everything I mentioned above is fine, then no need to SLAM.

I noticed you have a sand filter. How often are you back washing your sand filter? If you are back washing a lot it could explain your CYA level. You should backwash when you hit 25% above clean. In other words if clean is at 10 psi and dirty is 20 psi, you backwash when it hits 12.5 psi. Once you get your CYA under control and switch to liquid chlorine you will want to keep some CYA on hand to add back to the pool after back washing.

Tested CYA again this evening and got a reading between 60-70...so I rounded to 70. Pool math said I would need just over 1 jug of bleach to get to FC 7. I went ahead and added 2 full jugs as we had lots of kids swimming today. I went out 45 min after adding bleach and am getting a reading of only 2 FC and 3.5 CC. Not sure what to make of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.