Scotch Plains, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
My PH keep raising every one to two days from 7.4 to 7.8. I do not know if this is normal, but I am dupping about 3 bottles of 7 pound PH minus per week. Is it normal for the PH to raise so fast?

Can you post a full set of test results please.

Your spillover will cause pH to rise due to the aeration. Do you have any other water features?

Also, how old is the plaster?

Muratic acid from Lowes would probably be a less expensive option.

The spillover spa will raise it up as will any kind of aeration-rain, kids playing, cannon balls, etc.

How is your TA? That can also affect your PH.

Please post a full set of test results and how you are getting them.

Once we have a full set of results we can go from there.

Kim

That does seem like a lot, are you running a waterfall? a lot of people get maybe a .1 rise per day - i've had that for months and have to add 16oz of muriatic acid every 4 days. Doing that has slowly lowered my TA and now things actually seem to be stabilizing. I also had a new plaster pool, so that didnt help either. The SWG also adds aeration to the water which will rais ph. I'll second the usage of muriatic acid, might be a cheaper option. So...we need all those answers.

Water Features
Age of plaster
Total Alkalinity

Test results are as follows:

FC 3
PH 7.8
TA 110
CH 425
CYA 70
Salinity 3000

I am using a TF-100. The pool store results are similar with the following variation TA is 79 and adjusted TA 53, CYA 80 and CH 325. My plaster is 10 months old, my pool was built August 2014. I opened in April and been keeping my water at 80 degrees using my electric heat pump.

- - - Updated - - -

FC 3
PH 7.8
TA 110
CH 425
CYA 70
Salinity 3000

I am using a TF-100. The pool store results are similar with the following variation TA is 79 and adjusted TA 53, CYA 80 and CH 325. My plaster is 10 months old, my pool was built August 2014. I opened in April and been keeping my water at 80 degrees using my electric pump.

As others stated, the spill over spa aeration will drive up the pH. Also, the SWG will tend to drive up pH as well.

What is your TA? If you work to lower that it could either slow the pH rise or stabilize it.

FC 3
PH 7.8
TA 110
CH 425
CYA 70
Salinity 3000

I am using a TF-100. The pool store results are similar with the following variation TA is 79 and adjusted TA 53, CYA 80 and CH 325. My plaster is 10 months old, my pool was built August 2014. I opened in April and been keeping my water at 80 degrees using my heat pump.

As others stated, the spill over spa aeration will drive up the pH. Also, the SWG will tend to drive up pH as well.

What is your TA? If you work to lower that it could either slow the pH rise or stabilize it.

- - - Updated - - -

FC 3
PH 7.8
TA 110
CH 425
CYA 70
Salinity 3000

I am using a TF-100. The pool store results are similar with the following variation TA is 79 and adjusted TA 53, CYA 80 and CH 325. My plaster is 10 months old, my pool was built August 2014. I opened in April and been keeping my water at 80 degrees using my heat pump.

- - - Updated - - -

That does seem like a lot, are you running a waterfall? a lot of people get maybe a .1 rise per day - i've had that for months and have to add 16oz of muriatic acid every 4 days. Doing that has slowly lowered my TA and now things actually seem to be stabilizing. I also had a new plaster pool, so that didnt help either. The SWG also adds aeration to the water which will rais ph. I'll second the usage of muriatic acid, might be a cheaper option. So...we need all those answers.

Water Features
Age of plaster
Total Alkalinity

- - - Updated - - -

I have been doing that. My understanding is that to lower TA you need to use PH down as well. But no luck yet.

Yes, I would say lower your TA to about 90.

Last edited:
Plaster is 10 months old. I am trying to avoid the muriatic acid as I want to avoid accidental spills that could damage my pavers and/or my kids accidently spilling while in storage. Thanks for the suggestion.

Can you post a full set of test results please.

Your spillover will cause pH to rise due to the aeration. Do you have any other water features?

Also, how old is the plaster?

Muratic acid from Lowes would probably be a less expensive option.

This is the best method to lower the TA, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity.

Your plaster is still curing some and is adding to the rate of pH rise, but the rate increasing from this should be slowing down all the time.

Any aeration that can be eliminated or reduced will slow the pH rise also. Is the spa spilling over all the time while the pump runs? If so, that is the reason it is increasing so fast.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does ph minus lower TA? Like I said earlier, I was experiencing a .1 rise per day like clockwork and was adding muriatic acid to adjust every 4 days, which has been SLOWLY lowering my TA. Now (6 month old plaster)I'm at TA of 80 and the ph rise seems to REALLY slowing down. Went up .1 in 3 days. So just keep at it. It's a slow process.

well, if thats the case (sorry, ive only ever used muratic acid), then my advice is to just keep at it - it takes a while. whats the ta of your fill water i wonder? that will give you an idea of how far you've come doing what youre doing and how much longer it might take to get it to slow down.

Yes. The Spa spills over all the time when the pump is running....Wish my salesperson would have told me that during the presentation as my Spa is about 3 feet higher than the pool, I am sure this make it even worse.

This is the best method to lower the TA, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity.

Your plaster is still curing some and is adding to the rate of pH rise, but the rate increasing from this should be slowing down all the time.

Any aeration that can be eliminated or reduced will slow the pH rise also. Is the spa spilling over all the time while the pump runs? If so, that is the reason it is increasing so fast.

in my pool, the spillover is sucked out water from the bottom drains of the pool circulating and pumping all to the spa jets to create the spillover. when i do that, the pool returns are off - but there is a valve i can throw to make the returns to the spa switch to the returns in the pool. so i put it about half way to slow down my spilloverl and get a little circulation in the pool. i don't know if thats an option for you but it might help with the aeration if you can do that and still get the look you are going for.

I suggest to reprogram the automation to run the spa for only about a 1/2 hour each day. It will have plenty of flow for the day during that 1/2 hour and the pH rise will dramatically slow down.

I suggest to reprogram the automation to run the spa for only about a 1/2 hour each day. It will have plenty of flow for the day during that 1/2 hour and the pH rise will dramatically slow down.

this is interesting advice, never really thought about turning spa mode on during the day for even a short time to clean the spa out. sweeping it does no good since the bottom spa drains dont work during the pool filtering time - good idea.

I only have one pump for both the spa and pool. Can this be done with only one pump?

Yes it can.

For a half hour a day you will want the pool to operate as it is now with flow to the pool and spa. For the rest of the day you need to close the spa return valve and make sure the pool return valve is open. If it is programmed to suck from the spa that valve will need to be closed, but I'm thinking that it only sucks from the spa while in spa mode.

Basically the valves need to be opposite of when running in spa mode, you will be in pool mode.

Thanks

Yes it can.

For a half hour a day you will want the pool to operate as it is now with flow to the pool and spa. For the rest of the day you need to close the spa return valve and make sure the pool return valve is open. If it is programmed to suck from the spa that valve will need to be closed, but I'm thinking that it only sucks from the spa while in spa mode.

Basically the valves need to be opposite of when running in spa mode, you will be in pool mode.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.