new in pool steps sand issue

May 14, 2015
eden,ny
i have , in its second year,a 24 foot doughboy, 52 inches deep above ground.i have the curve in pool step system.the directions told us to fill the Side walls with sand for weight.there are two plugged holes on each side chamber which we funnelled a bunch of sand into. the steps stayed down in the pool all year.however i started noticing small clusters of san in the bottom of the pool.this spring with the steps out i noticed there was a small open hole at the top of each sand chamber where i assume the sand was trickling out.i tried to flush out all the sand and just fill the chambers with water but the steps keep wanting to float up. can i use pea gravel in these chambers and if so how much do you suggest.can i fill the chambers with quickrete and mix with water to harden it.i can plug the two open holes so the gravel has no chance to get out.i just would like an altrnative to using sand. thank you ,paul

i wanted to post a pic of the steps but was unable to through your manage attachments link.i shrunk the jpeg down to 32 kb ,it appears to upload yet there is an exclaimation point next to the file and no thumbnail to put a checkmark in to select that image . there is just an old existing image that i can choose from an unrelated post .that image is 82 kb and it says i have up to 250kb so my new thumbnail shouldnt be to large a file.

You can use photobucket to post pics. It works great.

Steps-if you fill them with concert will you be able to get them into and out of the pool?

Steps are the biggest algae hiders in an AGP so it is very important you can get them out to clean them. Some people make weights to hold them down with out of pvc pipe and cement.

I will wait for pics before saying what I think will work best.

Kim

You have no idea how heavy those are going to be to get out come closing. I got rid of the sand in mine because it still floated. I filled 6 bleach jugs with sand n water n attached with bungee cords.

You have no idea how heavy those are going to be to get out come closing. I got rid of the sand in mine because it still floated. I filled 6 bleach jugs with sand n water n attached with bungee cords.

Great reuse of bleach bottles :)

I use a 10 lb weight and a brick that I covered with plastic to prevent accidentally damaging the liner. The bleach bottle idea is also a good one but the steps came along after I stopped buying bleach.

This works so well for me. Steps don't float either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.