shocked 2 days water still milky

Oct 20, 2008
LONG ISLAND NY
hello
for 2 days i been adding 6% bleach to pool water to keep ahead of algae . pool not green anymore but water is milky white.
i posted this yesterday and response was to keep adding chlorine until water is clear and clean filter more. i did that all day and no change in water color.

do i just keep the water at this high shock level?

is it safe to keep adding bleach to the water?

th 100
fc 10 bromine 20
ph 7.2 7.5
ta 120
cya aproximatly 20

It can take a week of filtration to clear a pool of dead algae. You need some patience right now. Just keep filtering and reread the pool school section of the forum. While you are at it you really need to get a decent test kit and give up the test strips. (TH was the giveaway). Also, ignore the bromine readings, you are using chlorine. The same test tests for both but as you can see the bromine readings would be about twice that of the chlorine reading for a specific color on your strip (or any test for that matter).
As far as your pH is it 7.2 or 7.5? That is quite a difference and does have a big effect on your water balance.
If your CYA reading of 20 is from strips don't even consider that to be anywhere near accurate. Test strips just don't cut it for measuring CYA.

Hope you find some of this info helpful.

BLEACH ODOR and water still milky

HI,
first off let me start by saying i apologise if it seems that i am posting the same thing over . please have patience with me i am extremely new to this and i am the kind of person who needs to be assured that what i am doing is the right procedure and above all SAFe.
please bear with me.

I read the pool school three or 4 times and it seems that im following the advise correctly but being very new to this i am also very nervous about adding and handling these chemicals to my pool.

i had a very green pool . as per the schoolarticle i hit it hard with gallons of bleach keeping the water at shock level for the last three days. after the first day the water turned milky. i brushed twice a day the entire surface and bottom of pool. i clean the cartrige filter twice per day. (the cartrige doesnt show any green algae nor does it appear dirty when i clean it)

now because there is so much bleach ,the water really smells like bleach and i get scared that i am putting too much. should i continue to add more chlorine bleach to the water until the water is clear or am i doing something wrong???

also over the last two days the water doesnt seem to be getting any clearer.
why is that happening i followed the advise and the pool school article.

th 100
fc 10
ph 7.2 7.5
ta 120
cya aproximatly 20

again thank you and please bear with me,

tom

Re: BLEACH ODOR and water still milky

You need more bleach. FC of 10 isn't enough even if the algae is under control, and the smell of chlorine indicates the need for more chlorine. It can take a week or more to get a pool cleaned up from algae.

It would be better if you keep all of your posts about the same topic in the same thread, so that people can read the history of your problems.

Along with what Waterbear said, you should keep an eye on the filter pressure and backwash/clean the filter as needed. A DE filter will need frequent backwashing/cleaning when you have algae and will clear the pool fairly quickly (a day or two if you clean it often enough). A sand filter can often go longer between backwashes, but will clear the pool much more slowly (often close to a week). A cartridge filter will be somewhere in between.

too much bleach

can too much bleach cause damage am i putting too much. can it cause pump to start leaking or otyher damageto parts causeby bleach being too much in pool that it starts deteriorating plastic or am i being too cautious

again please put up with my posts and thanks

tom

When CYA is around 20, you want to keep the FC level no higher than 15. However, if your CYA level is actually higher you can take the FC level higher. Very high FC levels will very slowly start to damage the liner, basically causing it to age more rapidly than it otherwise would.

one problem is that you are testing with test strips and they are not reliable. You need to get yourself a decent test kit. You need a test kit that will test higher than 10 ppm on FC and there are only a few of them out there which is why we have such specific recommendations about test kits in Pool School. The worst that too high a FC level will do is cause some bleaching of your liner.

Is your pool an Intex pool by any chance? They have VERY undersized pumps and filters and can take quite a while to clear.
If not what is the make and model of your pump and filter? If we know that perhaps we can give you some more tips.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.