New Pool Build - Massachusetts

Thank you! It is grey granite, new this year. I was so afraid to choose it because there wasn't a single picture of it installed, and not even a sample to touch. Just a picture of a swatch in a brochure. Based on what I had read about water color and finish, I thought it would be the best choice for my yard, but I was pretty nervous. I am so happy with it, can't wait to see it again all clean. Water has been in a week now with no pump or filter, but electric should be hooked up tomorrow. They won't say how long it will take to clean up though. On Tuesday I called PB to ask if there was anything we could do about the slickery slime on the bottom. He said to stay out of the pool, I told him to be serious. He laughed and had the guys bring over some chlorine the next day, and a whole bunch of salt yesterday. We can still see the bottom, so we are still swimming.

It started raining here last night, and it is looks like it is going to keep on raining all day today. I have been trying to clean up the yard a bit, and turn the shed into a cute changing room / storage room for towels, suits and toys. Friends and family are getting anxious to come see the pool. The electrician was out yesterday and got everything running.

Because of the rain, we didn't get to play with the lights as much as I wanted, but the little bit we did do was fun. The space is a mess again, I can't believe what a mess an excavator can make in 45 minutes. Just when it was starting to look like the yard was starting to come together, they tore it all up again. Hopefully the inspector will out sooner rather than later, so we don't have to walk the plank to get to our pool for long.

I have been trying to get good shots of the work John "Picasso" did with the excavator on the back side. Sadly, pictures do not do his work justice. He spent a whole day working on that back side. John with an excavator is like Picasso with a paint brush. The terrain has changed so much! I can't find the same spot for the before and after pictures, but these are close.

Before

After

He built this stone step path way for me

Another angle

That stone and dirt work! WOW! It is so nice to see people who care about their craft!

Are you going to plant anything to help hold the dirt there? I suggest mondo grass and mow it like real grass. It grows quick and is pretty.

Kim

Are you going to plant anything to help hold the dirt there?

Kim

Yes, at some point. The problem is that the top terrace, and most of the second terrace are 3/4 inch fill. It should settle quite a bit, and isn't good for growing anything. Not sure if I should wait a year, let it settle and then fill in with good soil, or if I should do something this year. I have a call into a landscaper we used a few years back. Hopefully he will be out to take a look and give me his thoughts some time this week. I dug up a whole bunch of ferns, chamomile, iris, columbines and a butterfly bush. They are in pots all over the porch and yard. I am hoping they survive long enough to transplant. I also have a slope full of garlic chive, lemon balm, hardy geraniums (I think), and anise hyssop that desperately needs dividing. I am a big fan of native perennials, only the strong survive in my yard. Ornamental grasses are an option, but I don't want anything I need to mow, or that gets too tall.

LOL, I guess the short answer is, yes, I know I have a problem, but no I don't have a plan. I will get on it as soon as they finish tearing up my yard. They still have a bit more destruction to do, and I don't know when they plan to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Love love love the color of the water! You made a great choice with the liner.

Thank you! I am so happy with the liner, my husband is sick of me telling him how much I love the water color. Every couple hours I randomly get all giddy and squeal how much I love the water color.

Love love love the color of the water! You made a great choice with the liner. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suz - is it crazy that I already have now picked out my next liner? HAHA - I love this choice as well, its so unique and the color of the water if so sparkly!

Also, the stone work is stunning and I love the walkway.

Suz - is it crazy that I already have now picked out my next liner? HAHA - I love this choice as well, its so unique and the color of the water if so sparkly!

Also, the stone work is stunning and I love the walkway.

Oh dear...... You have caught my disease! I was so hoping it wasn't contagious..... I'm not sure what to call it: Cant Make up My Mind; I See It, I Want It. See, I can't even decide upon disease name.

I love their pool color!!! Now I wish I had a vinyl pool, so I could get the same. Of course, the whole time you were building your pool and then filled it..... yes, I wanted your pool and your landscaping!

I have a mental list far too long of what I would do next time, fully knowing there will be no next time! Let's look at it positively and say we're the kind of folks who are always wanting to improve upon perfection and keep options open to add variety to our lives. This pool tile/stone/shape/water color THIS time, and another set NEXT time!

Sighhhhhhh.... Suz.

Everything looks great to me. Landscaping is gonna be amazing i bet.

One of the guys on the pool crew asked me who we were having do the landscaping after they finished. I told him he was looking at her. He laughed. As I look around, I really can "see it" but it is a tad overwhelming. There is going to be a lot of work to be done to make it look nice. I did mention to hubby that if there was ANY tiny, teeny weeny little bit of budget left when my birthday rolled around next month, one landscaper/strong guy for a day to help me with some of the heavy lifting (there are a few "pebbles" I would like shifted a wee bit (LOL) and a few yards of mulch would be an awesome present. He got this indulgent grin / smirk / rolling eyes look on his face, so I put a call in. Hoping they can come out this week to take a look.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now I wish I had a vinyl pool, so I could get the same.

LOL, After seeing your tile! Are you kidding me! A gunite pool has so many options to make it unique, vinyl pools are much more limited. We really debated back and forth which to do. I really wanted the gunite since you can customize it more, I like to do things "different" from everyone else. At the end of the day, hubby wanted the smooth finish (and an all tile gunite pool was way out of budget) and our PB was the only PB that I had a good feeling about. Paul was the only builder that I had confidence in. Our install, on the slope, really isn't easy. But, once it is done, I think it will look AMAZING.

LOL, After seeing your tile! Are you kidding me! A gunite pool has so many options to make it unique, vinyl pools are much more limited. We really debated back and forth which to do. I really wanted the gunite since you can customize it more, I like to do things "different" from everyone else. At the end of the day, hubby wanted the smooth finish (and an all tile gunite pool was way out of budget) and our PB was the only PB that I had a good feeling about. Paul was the only builder that I had confidence in. Our install, on the slope, really isn't easy. But, once it is done, I think it will look AMAZING.

'Amazing' doesn't even begin to say it. You want unique, different, your own stamp? You already had that build in with your property and house. OMG! In my next life..... Lol!

You are getting ready to do what I LOVE to do - create and build our landscape! I'm not able to do it right now, so I'll do the next best thing - supervise someone else!!! But there's a huge part of me that wants to do the heavy work myself (well, maybe not your 'pebbles'!). There is nothing like making the beds, adding stone borders, planting new plants, moving existing plants, laying a brick pathway and then crashing inside and gazing out on the results! But it won't hurt too much to gaze out on the work of others, right?!!!

I can't wait to see the landscape develop! Take plenty of pictures!!! Suz.

Liner and rock work look amazing!!! Glad it worked out with the propane tanks...with this weather you are going to need the heater!

Thank you. Yeah, it is amazing how much the rain cools off the pool water. The propane tanks were put in place today. He is available to come on Friday to connect the lines. Which means I am really hoping the pool builder comes to tomorrow to back fill the electrical trenches and dig his gas line trench.

Well, the PB sent his guys out today to fill in all the trenches. Their mini-excavator is being serviced, so the poor guys had to shovel all of that by hand. I did some yesterday myself, just so we could safely walk to the equipment pad, and the pool. It was really hard work just doing that little bit. Those three guys did it so fast, but I felt so bad for them. I am still contemplating how it is that dirt got lighter today for them, than it was for me yesterday. Needless to say, I didn't get my gas line dug :( Tuesday is the day it looks like, so gas lines next Friday, inspection the next week, then I think we can actually turn heat on. Fence company is planning to be out late next week, which will make me so happy. I want to see my water without the orange reflection in it!

Hasn't been anything too exciting going on. Couple little things, so progress. We have been enjoying the pool, so the housework, and stuff that I am supposed to be doing isn't progressing as quickly as it should. Our PB was in the hospital for a week, some new tick disease, but he says he is feeling much better. Next week should be a good one, but here are a few updates of note.

After the electrical conduits were laid, I very carefully staked to mark it, at the fence company's request. The fence is going to be placed very close to where that line is.

When they came to fill the trenches, they took out my stakes before I noticed. I am still shaking my head wondering what they were thinking. I called the fence company, and they said they would be digging the holes by hand, and would be as careful as they can. I marked the area as best I could with rocks. Kimkats, that little gray conduit is for the potential post light you suggested. We both thought it was a great idea! Thank you so much for the idea!

The gas line got trenched, and the hard line was run over the rock wall, with a concrete block and metal support rod, then dropped into the ground and run to the heater.

I finally got all the wood planks from the sawmill out of the yard, and into the shed. Those slabs of oak and maple are heavy! The ones on the bottom are 2" thick, the ones on top are 1" thick, and they are all 8'-9' long! Now, we just need to get a fan out there to keep the airflow going. Looking into solar fan options, but they are really pricey. Thankfully air circulation falls into "techie" category and therefore is Hubby's problem :eek:

The pool house is coming along. I gave my son designer status, for the project. He is thrilled, I was really nervous. The sparkly turquoise fabric he picked out for the ceiling scared me, and the white with gold beams idea made me cringe.
However, once the fabric was just a single layer, it softened up and we found a gold paint that looks like wet beach sand that he liked. We found a nice remnant of vinyl flooring that has just a hint of the turquoise that I am very pleased with. It is really coming together. Overall, I am pretty happy with it so far.

My son and I made this sign to hang up. He fell in love with the saying at the store, but it was all the wrong colors. I told him we could make our own, in our own colors. It was a good project last week on the rainy day. I tried to convince him to use pool instead of beach, but he didn't like that idea. Now he wants to make another sign that says "Just Relax, it doesn't get much better than this". Next rainy day, I know what we will be doing.

The pool builder came by on Friday to drop off the final bill. We went over the outstanding items that needed to be done at the same time. There are still quite a few, I was shocked that he said he would like to pick up a check in a few days. I am hopeful this means there will be a flurry of activity on Monday and Tuesday!

The mini excavator came yesterday to dig a trench on the uphill slope to continue the dry well from around the house out past the pool house. He couldn't get the trench to pitch down all the way, there were just too many big rocks in the way. The plan in to line the trench with pond liner, lay the perforated pipe in it and back fill with gravel. I think it will be fine, there are only a couple areas where the pitch isn't what we would like. I need another project like I need a hole in the head, but what can you do? Chin up! He left the excavator, and said they would be back Monday with the bobcat too!

So that is where everything stands now. I really can't wait for the fence to go in. After walking on all this gravel, I think I might actually come to love my "cheesy deck carpet" this year.

It seems like to me that you've had a LOT going on and good progress, too! It's just not the things you really want, like the fence! I know the feeling....

Lately when I've been on your thread, I'm on my cell which doesn't come near to doing justice to your photos. Tonight, I'm back on the computer, and your place is amazing! I feel like I can almost hear the quiet of the trees when they're still. And then that gentle yet full sound of the trees moving in a wind. I love those sounds! And all the slopes you have - just gorgeous! Some of them are very steep, right? Sighhhh, and here I sit with my flat, flat yard. But that's best for me, so I have not complaints. Now those steps you have - YIKES! I'd never make it there, but I sure did dream about having a place like yours. It's gorgeous!

I can't believe they removed your marker stakes! They certainly were NOT thinking. What did they think - you were placing poles for the Giant Slalom practice long before the ski season????

OMG! I don't see how you ever moved all those wood planks! You are strong!!! Either I missed it earlier in your thread or I've forgotten, but what are the wood planks to be used for? There's so much!!!

You and your son are doing a great job with the pool house - super team work!!!! It's going to be wonderful. I love the sign and can't wait to see the new one!

Good luck with all those little details to wrap up! It sounds like your PB will make sure they get done!

Love the updates!
Suz.

I will be with you forever in that pole light! SO sweet!

I love the pool house and that your son is designing it!

That sign---------y'all made that?????????? NICE! Wonderful work! Building memories!

I am SURE your PB will not expect the money before the punch list is done right????????

Does the line for the gas look/feel solid enough to take a hit by a person or critter? I don't think anything will go up there but you never know.

At least you can swim in your pool now! FUN TIMES!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.