New TFTest kit owner Please help!

It arrived in the mail and the morning I was going to test my water one of our landscapers crew dropped a wheelbarrow full of topsoil in our pool! We have spent the last 3 days vacuuming to waste and filtering/backwashing.

Oh my, what a nightmare. I'm sorry this happened to you. I have been working on our landscaping and using a pull cart by the pool. This was a great fear of mine!

Agreed.

Use 70 at the CYA level for your SLAM. Backwash when you need to and don't bother testing CYA for at least a week.

You will find that on the internet and in printed materials many differing suggestions on how to maintaining your pool and what chemicals to use and in what quantities. Mixing and matching from different sources can be problematic.

So I'm continuing to SLAM my pool and its improving but I'm not there yet.
Current readings this morning were:
24 FC
1 CC
I'm assuming my CYA is at 70 like you said but had to backwash this morning (not quite 48 hours since adding stabilizer) and am adding some water as well. Should I assume my cya has gone down some or continue shocking as if its 70? Isn't there a concern with your FC being too high for your CYA level?

It's gonna be 90 degrees and sunny today in Cincinnati!

So I'm continuing to SLAM my pool and its improving but I'm not there yet.
Current readings this morning were:
24 FC
1 CC
I'm assuming my CYA is at 70 like you said but had to backwash this morning (not quite 48 hours since adding stabilizer) and am adding some water as well. Should I assume my cya has gone down some or continue shocking as if its 70? Isn't there a concern with your FC being too high for your CYA level?

It's gonna be 90 degrees and sunny today in Cincinnati!
Not really. Your average pool depth is probably something like 50 or 60 inches and a couple inches lost to backwashing is less than 5%. The CYA test isn't that accurate, so if you test it, it'll probably end up the same.

Is it safe to swim?

Day 6 of SLAM since our landscaper accidentally dumped topsoil in our pool.

It continues to clear a little every day. I usually enjoy vacuuming my pool but its getting a little old...

Current values at 6:30 this morning were:

26 FC
.5 CC

28 is my shock level assuming my cya is 70 (this is an educated estimate based on help from you guys after we mistakenly put stabilizer in prior to slamming. I can test cya accurately for a week correct? That's not until Monday.)

My concerns today are:

Is it safe to swim? It's soon hot here and I also think I could vacuum better in the pool?

Also I've been reading about high levels of chlorine being hard on your liner. The pool is only 2 years old I don't want to be damaging my liner!!!

When can I turn my swg back on so I don't have to add chlorine?

And even above shock level, being in the pool briefly to vacuum should be fine.

The SLAM process was designed to not damage pools and equipment.

Finish the SLAM process and then you can start to use the SWG.

Re: Is it safe to swim?

Depends on your CYA level. See the Chlorine / CYA chart in my link below. Anything from the minimum FC to shock level is alright for swimming, assuming the water is clear and no problems elsewhere.

I have been using the chlorine/cya chart... the problem is I have had to assume that my cya was at 70 based on what we added a few days ago and thats what I've been basing my shock level on. I've been really happy with my results so far until tonight.
At 9:00 PM :
FC 18
CC .5
Granted it was hot and sunny today but could my FC drop from 26 to 18 that fast if my stabilizer was at 70??
If my stabilizer has dropped due to backwashing then doesn't that mean I shouldn't be shocking at 28??
I can't test my cya yet... (supposed to wait a week right or it will be inaccurate?)

I'm ready to give up and just let the chlorine drop and let my swg take over until I can get accurate readings on everything!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.