Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

  1. Back To Top    #41

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    43

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    lol that's funny we have a Roomba as well and it goes off at 2:30 every day.

    Now if I could just get a robot to clean up the dog poop from the dog yard I'd be in business

    BTW in looking for a caddy for the S200, I found an ebay listing from poolsuppliessuperstore for the caddy for $99. Appears though that poolsuppliessuperstore is the same exact company as Doheny. It's odd though on the Doheny site when I find the caddy here: Dolphin Robotic Cleaner Parts | Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast and then add it to my cart, the picture that shows up in the cart is totally different than the one on that page.
    20K in-ground vinyl 32x16; Hayward Pro Series S244T sand filter with V-Green Variable Speed Pump,1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns; no heater; TF-100 test kit

  2. Back To Top    #42
    Killer95Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    749

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    Maybe the picture that is wrong is a picture of cart for the Triton series of cleaners they sell under the Doheny name.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

  3. Back To Top    #43

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    43

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    I went ahead and just placed the order for the Discovery and the caddy. I'll post back after it arrives!
    20K in-ground vinyl 32x16; Hayward Pro Series S244T sand filter with V-Green Variable Speed Pump,1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns; no heater; TF-100 test kit

  4. Back To Top    #44
    Killer95Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    749

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    Cool... any idea how long the sale lasts? I have my finger hovering over the button... but I just haven't ordered it yet..
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

  5. Back To Top    #45

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    43

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    Not sure. It's part of their "Summer Sales" page so who knows since summer hasn't even really started yet.
    20K in-ground vinyl 32x16; Hayward Pro Series S244T sand filter with V-Green Variable Speed Pump,1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns; no heater; TF-100 test kit

  6. Back To Top    #46

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    176

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    getting ready to have electrical run tomorrow and had planned on picking up the s300 for my cleaner. I've got a pair of power outlets on the outside brick, about 20' from our waterline. I don't want to mess with another extension cord so would ideally plug the s300 into an outlet, set it on the deck and let it do its thing but I think the 20' may be too far away? I could have the electrician install a power outlet near one of the posts on our patio hopefully which would place it about 7-10' from the waterline.

    the pool itself is 33x25 and the existing power outlets attached to the houe are roughly at either end of the pool so the 60' cord should be able to reach. Another part of the equation is that one of existing power outlets may be behind our spa and the other behind our grill. there is another outlet outside the back door that might work as well as it's about 20' from waterline and would come in around the mid-way part of the pool. perhaps that's my best option yet since I could just keep the cleaner stored there under cover and just wheel it out 5-6 feet or however long the cord is on the caddy/power supply

  7. Back To Top    #47

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    Quote Originally Posted by darin.brown View Post
    getting ready to have electrical run tomorrow and had planned on picking up the s300 for my cleaner. I've got a pair of power outlets on the outside brick, about 20' from our waterline. I don't want to mess with another extension cord so would ideally plug the s300 into an outlet, set it on the deck and let it do its thing but I think the 20' may be too far away? I could have the electrician install a power outlet near one of the posts on our patio hopefully which would place it about 7-10' from the waterline.

    the pool itself is 33x25 and the existing power outlets attached to the houe are roughly at either end of the pool so the 60' cord should be able to reach. Another part of the equation is that one of existing power outlets may be behind our spa and the other behind our grill. there is another outlet outside the back door that might work as well as it's about 20' from waterline and would come in around the mid-way part of the pool. perhaps that's my best option yet since I could just keep the cleaner stored there under cover and just wheel it out 5-6 feet or however long the cord is on the caddy/power supply
    I'm not entirely sure why they don't advise using an extension cord (other than it creating a point of entry for water in case of a surprise shower). The power cord is itself a modified computer power cord (a three-prong extension itself, modified to lock in place).
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

  8. Back To Top    #48

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    176

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    I'm not entirely sure why they don't advise using an extension cord (other than it creating a point of entry for water in case of a surprise shower). The power cord is itself a modified computer power cord (a three-prong extension itself, modified to lock in place).
    yeah, I'm guessing it's just to cover themselves from another potential point of water entry but I gather most cases involve running their power cord to an extension cord and then back to an outlet. I was just hoping to avoid having to do that out of pure laziness on my part

    with the supplied cord being 60' I think I might be okay using the outlet by the back door and under the covered patio. if the electrician will install a new outlet at a patio post for a nominal fee it'll be worth having it available to use down the road but I'm hoping the current outlets will let me use the cleaner without having to mess with another extension cord.

  9. Back To Top    #49
    Road scholar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bowie, Maryland
    Posts
    41

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    I have one of those heavy duty weather resistant extension cords that has a spike on the bottom. It's the ones they sell around the holidays targeted at outdoor lights and blow up frosty the snowman lawn ornaments. I keep it plugged into an GFIC outlet near the pool and pull it out when I use the bot. Simple.
    60' x 20' L-shape, 23K gal, NSW, IG Plaster, built spring 2002, 3 HP Inteliflo pump, Cartridge filter, gas heater, swim lane, volleyball net, Dolphin A30i robot.

  10. Back To Top    #50

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    I was going to buy a dolphin triton plus - ended up buying the M500. Spent a little more than I wanted, but like the 3 yr bumper to bumper warranty.
    Do you guys leave the pool covered with the bot is running?
    What about the pool pump, do you leave the pump running?
    New to this robot life style - any suggestions?
    20x40', vinyl, Jandy sand filter, bromine off line feeder, 2.5 hp jandy pump.
    Near Cleveland

  11. Back To Top    #51

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    34

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    I've never owned a Dolphin, just Aquabots and the Polaris 9550, so I can't speak for other Dolphin owners.

    "Do you guys leave the pool covered with the bot is running?"- Assuming you're talking about a solar cover, I would leave it off the pool unless the M500 has a floor only option. Otherwise the dolphin could get stuck on the cover when it climbs the walls.
    "
    What about the pool pump, do you leave the pump running?"- Doesn't matter
    "
    New to this robot life style - any suggestions?"- ;

    • Remove the cleaner from the pool after the cleaning cycle is complete, and store it in a shed or somewhere it won't sit in the sun all day.
    • clean the canister after each cycle
    • Do not turn it on outside of the pool water,
    • During the winter, store the cleaner inside or in a heated area.


    Those are the only suggestions I can think of at the moment.

  12. Back To Top    #52

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    Thanks
    20x40', vinyl, Jandy sand filter, bromine off line feeder, 2.5 hp jandy pump.
    Near Cleveland

  13. Back To Top    #53

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,907

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    It would be best to run the cleaner without the pump running so the dirt settles on the floor.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

  14. Back To Top    #54

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    It would be best to run the cleaner without the pump running so the dirt settles on the floor.
    Just like in math class, the question of pump on/off should be followed with an "it depends." There are tons of factors affecting movement of dust/dirt in a pool (e.g. convection currents relating to different temperatures at the surface and below) and simply shutting off mechanical circulation won't cause all the impurities to readily drop to the bottom. The pump/filter captures plenty and the internal filtration process within the cleaner creates its own currents, so while I'd agree that you won't capture everything with the pump on, I'm not so sure you'd be much better off with the pump off.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

  15. Back To Top    #55

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,907

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    Just like in math class, the question of pump on/off should be followed with an "it depends." There are tons of factors affecting movement of dust/dirt in a pool (e.g. convection currents relating to different temperatures at the surface and below) and simply shutting off mechanical circulation won't cause all the impurities to readily drop to the bottom. The pump/filter captures plenty and the internal filtration process within the cleaner creates its own currents, so while I'd agree that you won't capture everything with the pump on, I'm not so sure you'd be much better off with the pump off.
    I'll keep this in mind and play around with it a bit to see if I see any difference in my pool.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

  16. Back To Top    #56

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    I'll keep this in mind and play around with it a bit to see if I see any difference in my pool.
    You'll need to play a lot (e.g. direct sunlight on pool surface vs pool in shade, warmer day vs cooler day).
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

  17. Back To Top    #57

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Roseville/CA
    Posts
    4

    Re: Dolphin S300I vs Dolphin M500

    Hello Geebot:

    Are you still happy with your S300 cleaner? My Polaris died this month after 3.5 year. So, we are shopping for a new one. I wonder how your S300 is doing since it has been a few year. Thanks a lot!
    CL free Pool, 12kGal, Pebble Sheen finish, Pentair Sand Filter with recycled glass media, Former Polaris 9450Sport cleaner owner

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •