Brand New Pool

It kind of depends. If TA is below 50 do TA first, Then If PH is completely out of range fix that, unless FC is above 10 in which case you ignore it. Then FC, then PH, CYA, then TA, then CH.

You can pour it very gently n slowly from the jug with the wind blowing at your back so it's not blowing fumes in your face. Use PoolMath to determine how much to add.

Hi giltyler, we can figure out how much chlorine to add at least until your test kit comes: according to poolmath a 21 ft round pool 54 inches deep holds 11700 gallons, so we'll plug that in at the top. since you have fresh water you have no CYA (stabilizer) so to go from 0 to 3 ppm chlorine, as per chlorine/cya chart, you will need 52 oz of 8.2% bleach. so start with that, but the sun will burn it off quickly as you have no CYA stabilizer yet. Poolmath says to get to 30 CYA you need 47 oz (just under 3 lbs). Once you have added the stabilizer (can get from walmart) your target level will be 4ppm chlorine. You can also get the cheap chlorine/pH test kit from walmart to check your chlorine up to 5ppm and pH until your big-boy test kit arrives.

TF100 and Extras ordered
Added 55 ounces of concentrated Chlorox last night and again this evening.
In DFW area so very sunny and in the 90s
Also my brand new Chlorinator has a leak and the merchant offered up a call tag to replace or refund so looking for suggestions.
I ordered this PERFORM-MAX Pool Chemical Feeder | King Technology King Technology Sani King feeder thinking how nice it would be not to mess with adding chlorine all the time and later learned of the CYA issues

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No clearing needed since it is just filled last Sunday
I have added 1.5 gallons of bleach over the past week since we have had full sun and temperature in the 90s
I will grab a cheap kit since the TF100 got delayed
I will get 2 more gallons of MA and some stabilizer as well.

Gityler, I would also add that as incredibly hot as it's been here in Texas, and with your CYA unknown and/or still possibly quite low waiting to increase, that you remain consistent with at least 1/2 gallon of bleach per day in that new water - possibly even 1 gallon depending on what your temporary test kit shows. I'm pretty sure any new bleach (FC) you're adding is getting tore-up and eliminated by the sun. We just want to "try" and avoid a major algae bloom before your kit gets here is possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.