Converting bacquacil to saltwater Pool

Jun 7, 2015
Carlisle pa
I have a 22x44 inground pool with a sand filter. I want to convert to a saltwater system. I have been told so many different stories, use Non Chlorine shock only???? I have not put bacquacil in since last September. I have added I have added 48 pounds of Non chlorine so far..... It doesn't appear to be changing. It has been a shade of green for two weeks. Please help!
Debbie

Hi Debbie :wave:

Ok, first step is to take a deep breath and know that you've come to a place where folks want to help you. You've already taken the first step which is to ask questions. We'll help you to help yourself.

Second thing is this - you've got to forget about pool store advice, they are trying to sell you expensive chemicals you do not need. As an example, they've told you to use non-chlorine shock only. That is dead wrong. You can convert your pool with plain old chlorine bleach which is two to three times cheaper than MPS shock. SO right there they have demonstrated that they either don't know what they are talking about or that they only care to sell you expensive chemicals you don't need.

You're first step in taking control of your pool is to purchase for yourself the appropriate test kit. You need either a Taylor K-2006 that is available on Amazon from various vendors or you need the TF-100 with XL option from TFTestKits.net. Both use Taylor reagents to do water tests and they are the top of the line test kits. I use the the Taylor K-2006C (C stands for "Commercial" grade) as it has larger, 2oz reagent bottles. You can see a comparison of test kits in this link - Test Kits Compared

Your next step while you wait for your test kit to arrive, is to read as many threads on Baqluacil conversion as you can so you can see in real life terms how TFP helps lots of people convert and to read as much of PoolSchool as you can. Specifically read the follow article - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine.

Finally, you are going to need a source of chlorine bleach. Big Box stores like Walmart or Costco or Sam's Club typically carry bleach in large quantities. Standard plain unscented bleach is what you are looking for. The active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite and the standard concentration is typically 8.25%. You can get higher strength bleach from pool stores and/or hardware stores, but it may not be as cheap. Also, be prepared that at the end of the conversion process you are going to need to change the sand media in the sand filter. So have that in your head as an additional cost (although sand is cheap).

Don't worry about going salt water just yet. The first step is converting from Baquacil to chlorine. We'll get to salt water later.

Keep reading and any questions you have keep posting to this thread. We're standing by to help you!!

- - - Updated - - -

And another thing - try to update your signature with as much info about your pool as you can find.

Do you know the volume of your pool? You say it's 22x44. Is that rectangular? What's the average depth? Or, what is the depth of the shallow end and the deep end?

If we want to get your pool chemistry right, pool volume is a critical parameter.

Please do not swim at this time. The chemistry of the water is way off and there's no way to know right now if the pool is properly sanitized. Also, as you convert from Baq to chlorine, there will be no stabilizer in your water (cyanuric acid or CYA). With low or no CYA and high chlorine levels from the bleach, the water will be very harsh on clothes, hair, skin etc. In order to do this conversion process properly, it's best to keep people out of the pool. I know it's hot and I know everyone hates to look at an empty pool but once the process is complete, you'll see it's worth the wait!

Please read all the articles in PoolSchool you can especially focusing on water chemistry, TFP recommended levels, etc. It may not all make sense at first but you'll get it more and more as we move forward. The helpful folks here will use lots of pool lingo so it's best to familiarize yourself with the TFP "language".

Glad to hear you have bleach on hand. You're likely going to need lots of it. I've seen Baq conversions take upwards of 50 gallons of bleach. I'm hoping since you have not added any Baq since last year that your conversion will be quicker and easier. One other thing you can do while you wait is to do some price comparison on bleach in your area. Look at prices and divide the price by the volume of the bleach in ounces and divide again by the percentage (8.25% or 10% or 12%, whatever the percent the sodium hypochlorite concentration is). This way you can shop around at big box stores, supermarkets, hardware stores and , yes, the dreaded pool stores to see where you can get the best bang for your buck.

You are also going to need some muriatic acid (31.45% or 20 Baume, available in most hardware stores) and Borax (20 Mule Team, found in the laundry aisle) for adjusting pH. I'd start off with maybe four gallons of MA and two or three boxes of Borax. Don't worry, even if you don't use it all right away for the Baq conversion, you will use it later on for pool water maintenance.

Keep posting questions!! I'll be out & about this morning but try to monitor this thread while I'm mobile.

Oh, and one other thing. If you have easy access to camera, please take lots of pictures of your pool both before, during and after conversion. It's very easy to forget how bad your pool looks and then, in the middle of the process when things seem like they're not changing much, it's easy to get frustrated. Pictures help to remind us of where we have been and gives us perspective on the progress.

You can sign up for a free photosharing service like PhotoBucket or Picasa and then upload your pictures there. Once uploaded, the pictures will be assigned an IMG link that you can cut & paste into any TFP post and the picture will show up in the thread. It's great way to share your progress with others and it's also a great way for the experts here on TFP to see what your water looks like and give you pointers. It's also good when you have equipment issues and you need to describe what you're seeing - as they say, a picture is worth a thousand word.

Thank you!!!

We're glad to help.

About starting the conversion, I'm not sure how others feel about (I'm nowhere near an expert as some others are) but my gut feeling is that you really need your test kit to do this right. We need to know where your water is at now and we're going to need to test frequently during the process. The pool store testing is just too unreliable to trust and, quite frankly, way too inconvenient for the frequency of testing you'll be doing once the process starts (you'll likely be testing your water every two hours at least initially).

So I feel like any bleach you dump in now is really just a waste of chlorine. We want to hit the water hard with chlorine from get-go and consistency is absolutely key.

So save up your bleach and your energy. Look at your calendar and try to figure out a good time in the next few weeks (don't know how long it will take to get your test kit) when you can set aside a few days to really focus on the pool. The start of the process takes focused attention so you don't want anything to interrupt the process once you get going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, a good test kit like the ones recommended here is an absolute must have!!! Without it, you are simply flying blind and will waste a ton of time and money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you, I ordered a Taylor K 2006C test kit, it should be here late today. I didn't see this post last evening before I added 3 more gal of Clorax, I followed advice to put pump on circulate!!���� after initial shock, my pool was Emeral Green, now a light Aqua , shallow is pretty clear with Aqua tinge, I have an Aqua bot that I have been using.
i won't add anything else until I get my test kit. Thanks for all the help! I will post pictures.
Grateful Debbie

You'll be fine. Just read the directions through a few times.

And ask about anything that doesn't make sense.

Do one test at a time. There are videos of each test also. Just do a google search for the one you want to do first.

You can even take pics of your tests and we can guide you that way.

We have your back!

You are already SO far ahead of the game it will not take you long to get it all right!

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the video for the PH kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTOSRHI1-zk

So for your conversion all you need to do right now is pH and, for fun, FC (which should be 0) and CC which also should be close to 0. You can do TA too.

You don't need to do CYA or CH at this time. CYA is 0ppm because you have a baquacil pool. At this point, we don't care about CH.

Correction - don't waste your good FC/CC reagent until you actually add bleach to the pool. You can just do the total chlorine (OTO yellow indicator) first to see 0 chlorine.

OH NO! We lost her to the test! LOL How is it going? Is there anything we can help you with?

Kim
I'm still here! LOL I left early this morning for vac until Sunday Evening. I did spend time last night and did my test. Ph is 7.3, can't remember all the numbers now. My brother is going to test later today for me he has time to monitor closely, so I will need some guidance later, thanks everyone!
Debbie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.