Converting bacquacil to saltwater Pool

Okay! Im back from vacation, and my pool has gone from Emerald Green to lime...now pretty clear.. while I was gone.
I have done my testing.

6/12 Today:
Water temp 78 Water temp 82
FC .8ppm FC .14ppm
CC .10ppm CC .6ppm
PH 7.4 PH 7.5
ALK 44ppm ALK 52ppm
CH 250ppm CH 180ppm
CA 30ppm CA 30-40ppm

Now what?? I have back washed and it wasn't dirty at all,( I do use an aquabot )
Debbie

- - - Updated - - -

My post looks confusing, I had it all separated but when it posted it all jammed together.
I tested first on 6/12 and again today.numbers to the left 6/12 numbers on the right today

Sorry, it was a busy day and your thread dropped off my radar.

You need to follow the Convert Your Baquacil Pool to Chlorine procedure exactly to the letter.

Are you referring to cyanuric acid as "CA"? If so, use the more common convention CYA. You should not have any CYA in your water. You don't need it right now. Just get your pH down to 7.2 and then your FC up to 15ppm and maintain it. Then we'll talk some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you getting those TA numbers Debbie? Whatever the case, you need to be careful dosing acid there as it will be easy to get the pH too low with such low TA. Just calculate, and dose carefully.

Hi Debbie :wave:

Yes, adjusting the water pH to 7.2-7.4 range is the first step. Your previous test results indicate a low total alkalinity which means your water's pH could change quickly with small additions of acid. There's no need to change the TA at this point, but you should use PoolMath to get the correct acid dose. Just enter in all of your numbers and it will tell you how much acid to add.

Give it 30-60min to mix and then retest your pH. Adjust further if needed.

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I multiplied wrong it was 130

Ok then. It looks like you're good to go with the conversion. Get your pH down to the 7.2-7.4 range and then work on bringing your FC up to 15ppm and maintain.

Good luck and, if you can, take pictures. They actually help because sometimes a conversion can take a while and it's nice to have something to remind yourself of where you were and how far you have come.

I'm excited for you!!

Ok good deal. The pictures are a good idea. These things turn all kinds of weird colors sometimes and they take a while depending on how long you've been running that stuff. Let us know how we can help if you need it. Stock up on lots of Chlorine.

Im back It worked Pool is crystal clear
Temp 74
FC 5.0
CC 2.0
TA 110
CH 150
CYA 20
SAT 0.0

If your CCs are truly 2.0ppm, then you have a problem. They should be less than 0.5ppm. You need to SLAM to lower them.

After you correct your CCs, then you need to raise your CYA up to a minimum of 30ppm. For your pool type, many users find 40-50ppm to be a good number especially if the pool gets a lot of sunshine. 30ppm CYA is your minimum.

Everything else looks good....except I don't see a pH value.

Yup, you need to SLAM - lower your pH to 7.2-7.4 (should be easy now), then raise and maintain your FC to shock level. You're done when the water is clear (which it is), your CCs < 0.5ppm AND your overnight loss is less than 1ppm.

Let me ask you something, are you sure all the Baqua-goop is gone? Did anyone remove the light housing from the light niche and look in there? Baqua-goop can hide in lots of places including underneath ladders, in light niches, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.