Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Fc 0
Cc 0
ch 175
Ta 80
Cya solution was clear, i assume 0 then.

13,500 gallon above ground vinyl lined, sand filter, former baquacil for years and years and years.

I think i need to adjust the ph first, then start the conversion, right? Or should i up the cya as well, maybe half of my target to start?

attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

Ph was high off the test kit, 8.2+. I added muriatic acid per pool math, i did 20 ounces to bring it down.

Attachments

• 20150607_080404.jpg
    20150607_080404.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 236
Yep, if you got your pH down into the mid 7's, you are good to go.

Remember this important point......the FC will diminish VERY rapidly when you foirst put it in so plan on replenishing it to SLAM vale maybe 2-3 times today and tonight.

Bring it back up again in the early AM and keep testing and adding tomorrow as well.

Your FC consumption will start to diminsh so you can slow down how often you test but you CANNOT stop bring it back to SLAM value.

Everyone Ooh's and Aah's at the colors you get from the conversion....post pics if you can!!

We'll help all the way through if you need it.

Just checked the ph, my acid addition brought it down to 7.5 on the dot. Is that good or should i take it down a bit more? Im headed to rural king to get bleach for the conversion.

ph of 7.2 is the optimum number. The Ph test will only be valid with FC less than 10. So get it set before SLAM. I made the conversion from Baquacil last year to TFP method a year ago. I am very pleased. Pool looks /feels great. Take duraleigh advice ....The more consistent you can keep your FC to SLAM level the quicker the conversion.

Recirculating seemed to have worked for me. The more debris you can skim out with your leaf skimmer, the better. Personally, I didn't want any of that gunk going through the sand. I recirculated for about the first 8 hours of my conversion, but it's been on filter ever since. I'm on day 2 and my pool is back to condition in which I opened it: Cloudy Blue-Green water. At any rate these guys will tell you that the key is to keep the water moving.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just checked again, fc was 4.5. Pool math said 181 ounces of my 10% to bring it back. I added a jug and a third. Water is looking much better. I need the cicadas to stop crash landing in it and dying.

My wife is skimming while i brush. We have gotten almost everything out of it, but there are what i believe is white mold from the baqua. This is a two man rescue mission, and i am amazed so far. I will post a pic here shortly.

Also, do i need to add stabilizer to it? Or wait until my slam/conversion is done?

- - - Updated - - -

Husky25, your water looks very similar to mine.

I was told to wait on the CYA until near the end. Being in the midst of the process, I can however confirm the notion that if you think you have enough shock, buy more. I've gone through 25 jugs since 10:30 yesterday morning and 14 of them are 12.5% concentration.

It may just be the camera, but your water looks significantly greener than mine. That may not be a bad thing because I put in a starter dose of Oxidizer and Sanitizer when I opened. You probably have a lot less Baqua chemical to react with Chlorine and it can attack the green instead.

this pool has had zero baqua chemicals added since last year. I have 15 bottles of 10% still. Ill probably grab another 5 cases tomorrow morning. Rural king had probably 1000 cases in stock.

Will do, i am more focused on getting this done rather than messing with pictures. I have a flickr account already, ill try one here in a bit. Added a gallon just a bit ago, about to fire up the grill for dinner.

Last night i upped the fc to 15 and went to bed. This morning, it was at 13. Gave it a bump and my wife has instructions on testing and treating. Water is very cloudy, but very blue. I am in it so far 9 gallons of 10% rural king shock. Im gonna stock up even more while its cheap!

Seeing a 2ppm drop overnight is a VERY good sign at this point. Keep adding chlorine to maintain the 15ppm mark and keep brushing everything you can find. :D

It's also a good idea to take EVERYTHING that has came into contact with Baquacil and toss them in the pool while you're at the 15ppm mark. Brushes, nets, ladders, toys, vacuums, and so forth. This will give them a good clean as well and help you out in the future.

SO the pool is VERY cloudy at the 24 hour mark. Its blue, but cloudy. I will check the FC here in a bit when I get home. MY wife is freaking out saying im wasting money and the pool will never be clear, and its gonna smell like chlorine and all that. Any words of wisdom so I can share with her that this thing will be right? She thinks its going to be a month before we can get in.

Any advice on a cheaper vacuum? Its my inlaws pool, and theirs appears to be broken.

Show her pictures of other successful conversions. That's how I got my wife's buy in. She freaks out because I keep on referring to the liquid chlorine as "bleach." I have to reassure her that concentrated bleach is 8 parts per 100. When it's ready, the concentration of the pool will be 1/2000 as strong.

"Successful" is sort of redundant on this website because it looks like everyone who has committed to the conversion process is successful.

BTW, Cloudy blue water after only 24 hours is a good place to be. Keep going.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.