Caretaker Rebuild Problem

Jun 6, 2015
Vero Beach, FL
I've rebuilt the 5-port valves using the Jandy's OEM rebuild kit. Everything seemingly went together smoothly but when I started the system back-up a loud rattling sound occurred. It sounded like one of the ball bearings was spinning around inside the top housing. I've since taken it apart twice in an attempt to locate the problem -- without success. All of the internal parts appear to be in their correct positions. The pistons stay seated when I turn the center plate over. The cam assembly impeller and gears spin freely and all 5 of the ball bearings are seated in their indents. There is no rattle when I manually spin the impeller.

Disassembling and reassembling the unit three times is about as much punishment as I can take; frankly, I'm at my wits end; . I've contacted three local pool service companies and they don't see to want to touch it. HELP !!!

Frustrated in Vero Beach, Fl

Thanks, Paul, for trying. I have watched the videos. In fact, they got me through the rebuild. Of course when they show how to do it everything ends-up working perfectly at the end.

Ray

I am in exactly the same situation right now.

I have rebuilt it several times and I am about done with this thing.

Did you ever resolve the issue and can you share some of your wisdom to this poor soul?

Thanks!

Not sure which part of the OP's old post you are experiencing. If you are getting the loud rattling, the thing that causes that in my Caretaker is air in the line. I've also heard this described as kind of a water hammer effect. I get it every time after I've opened up my system for some maintenance as simple as cleaning out the pump basket.

To resolve it, before I open things up I make sure the diverter to the Caretaker is completely closed. After the pump is primed and air is purged from the filter, etc, I start bleeding the water supply back to the Caretaker by throttling the diverter to it a little open, till it starts a small rattle in the Caretaker, and then close it. I repeat this multiple times for a few minutes, slowly getting the Caretaker filled up with water only. At least, that's what I think is happening inside there. Anyway, this method works for me.

One other thing that may cause the rattle is too low water flow over a prolonged period. I am in the early stages of observing this while I've been experimenting with lower pump rpms, so I'm not positive about the causal effect, but just thought I'd mention it in case you've made recent reductions to your pump speed with the Caretaker open to flow for extended periods.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.