Need Solar Panel Heater Recommendation for Philadelphia Area

There is no one right panel for all installations, one important question here is how do you plan to mount these panels? (roof top, on some type of rack, or given your more northerly location even a fence side mounting may make sense.

I just had Heliocol panels installed this spring. Water went from 65 to 84 in about four days once the sun came out. So far so good.

I hope to build an awesome pergola/outdoor kitchen/bar area and move the panels onto that roof to provide shade in a few years.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

In your region freeze prevention in the winter would be a prime concern, I would probably either pick a freeze resistant design like the flexible panels sold by h2otsun.com , or one of the more rigid panel designs like the TechnoSolis panels that I have which could be easily blown out with low pressure air for winterization. Leaving the various other individual tube non freeze resistant out of consideration as they are likely more prone to trapping water and allowing it to freeze and rupture the panels.

Ike

I don't have any experience with them directly, however Aquatherm was my runner up choice before opting for TechnoSolis panels a couple of years ago, and due to the fact that Aquatherm had what I think is a better optional aluminum header clamp, I ended up using those to mount my TechnoSolis panels instead of the TechnoSolis basic U clamp. (header diameter according to the spec sheets was nearly identical between these two brands, I think about 1/20 inch difference on the 2 inch headers) One thing you should be aware of if looking at this as a DIY project is that the Aquatherm panels are also sold by Elm Distribution as a private label product (same panel, I think some differences in warranty, ...)

Ike

Thanks for the information. It looks like Aquatherm and Heliocol are my two choices. Does anyone have an opinion? Also, the Heliocol sales rep said he can link to my Aqualink remote system but the Aquatherm folks said that they would like to use a separate controller. My Aqualink has a slot for solar so I don't understand why the Aquatherm folks don't use my Aqualink? Cost? Effort?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.