How to wire a mastertemp heater

Dec 20, 2010
I had my pool redone. the old pool had a simple pump and a simple heater. I had both wired to a single intermatic timer. The timer turned on and killed the power to both at the same time. A fireman switch shut off the heat a few minutes ahead of time. Probably the way most are wired.

The new pool has an Intelliflow pump and a Mastertemp 400 heater. The pump has its own internal timer. The heater does not. I do not have an intellitouch system. The new heater seems a little more sophisticated than the old one. I have the heater is controlled by an intermatic timer with a fireman switch.

Finally my question. Currently I have the the timer shut off power to the heater. The fireman switch is used to cut off the heat a few minutes before the power. Alternatively, I could also wire it to leave power on to the heater and just use the fireman switch to control the heat.

Any thoughts on which would be better? Killing the power is always safest. I an unsure if the heater is best left powered.

Thanks

Depending on where you live, keeping power on to the heater when not needed can cause critters at times to crawl inside during the coolers times. They look for the warmth of the transformer. Plus if you're not using it, why have it powered up. I think of it this way, do you leave the lights on in all of your rooms of the house even when you're not in the room? I always instruct the users to power the unit off at the heater if they do not have automation. If they do have automation, I wire the unit to only get power when heat is called for.

Critters I never thought of. The heater is inside a workshop but mice can get anywhere. That's a good reason to leave it the way it is. thanks.

I second your WORD OF CAUTION. I have a relative who is an electrician and taught me much over the years. I don't know any plumbers. Water leaks are annoying, Gas leaks blow up. I call a plumber.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.