sudden outbreak of surface foam

Jul 17, 2013
24' 15,000 gallon salt. Everything was fine, chemistry was good per pool store but they recommended 24 oz Phosfree due to elevated phosphates 400ppb. Added that last night and about mid day today the surface suddenly foamed up. Acts like it is clearing up and then covers the whole surface again. Any ideas what this is?
FC 5ppm
salt 3200
CH 260
CYA 55
TA 100
PH 7.7
temp 73
run filter and SWG 3 hours at a time for total of 9hours. turned filter on constant when foam appeared.

Sounds like the root cause is the pool store selling you chemicals you do not need. You do not need to worry about phosphates in a well-managed pool. Chlorine and chlorine alone, in the proper amount will prevent algae no matter what the phosphate level is. I know some folks who have phosphate levels of around 5,000 ppb and they never get algae because they maintain the proper level of chlorine in the pool. For the most part, I use only two chemicals to maintain my pool; chlorine (in the form of liquid bleach) and muriatic acid - that's it.

If you want to take control of the pool and free yourself from the pool store and all the needless chemicals they will push on you, you need one of the Recommended Test Kits. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping.

Here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math

How much did they steal from you for that bottle of potion?

As Bo said, you do not need that stuff. 're read pool school since you've been gone for a couple years.

I have a good test kit. The only reason I took the water there is because I just switched to salt this year and wanted a full profile from another source. Everything was really good until I added the PHOSfree. From what I have read it will clear in a couple of days. Wont be going to them anymore.

You have a good kit. You don't need a second opinion on numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.