Sanitizer levels low. Where is al this foam coming from?

Jun 6, 2015
Alaska
Hello,

This is my first time posting here, I'm hoping someone with more experience can help me fix a foaming problem on Baquacil. I'm in charge of taking care of a 1400 gallon swim spa. It uses the Baquacil CDX system.

I see from googling that Baquacil is kind of problematic but I can't switch to something else at the moment so I need some info on how to fix the foaming.
E4G3tDM.jpg

It happens when the jets are on, but when the water is still it looks fine!

The dealer said that it might be white mold but this doesn't look like any of the photos on the internet for that.
Here are some other figures:
pH 8
Calcium Hardness 128
Alkalinity 64
Oxidizer 228
Copper 0.1
Unbalanced

The thing is that the Sanitizer and Algistat is at 38 (from the dealer testing) so it's not high I thought that foaming problems where supposed to happen when the Sanitizer was high?

I really hoe someone can give me some advice.

Thanks

My guess? You over did it on algaecide, algaecide, and more algaecide. IMO that should be the last chemical you add on that system.

Your only remedy is to scoop it out. I'm changing a 21k gallon pool over to chlorine, but I had Baquacil for over 7 years.

I'd imagine you can drain and start over, but you said you can't change over. So I assume 1) you don't have access to a water source, or 2) it needs to be available immediately everyday.

My guess? You over did it on algaecide, algaecide, and more algaecide. IMO that should be the last chemical you add on that system.

Your only remedy is to scoop it out. I'm changing a 21k gallon pool over to chlorine, but I had Baquacil for over 7 years.

I'd imagine you can drain and start over, but you said you can't change over. So I assume 1) you don't have access to a water source, or 2) it needs to be available immediately everyday.

Thanks for responding. Husky. In this system the Algaecide is "Baquacil 1: Sanitizer and Algistat" right? That's testing at 38ppm and it's in the range of 30-50ppm that the dealer tests for.

I wish I could switch to chlorine but I can't at the moment and yes water is kind of an issue.

Sanitizer & algistat should be 50 ppm or higher, but foam is normally the result of an algaecide issue in my experience. White mold will make your water cloudy and is difficult to get rid of with bq chemicals (incidentally, that is the reason I am changing over. I couldn't get rid of it.).

That foam can probably be slowly scoped out with a pool skimmer.

If you are getting foam from your return jets, your pump is sucking air from someplace. Make sure your skimmer basket and pump basket are clean. Also check the pressure on your filter. If your pressure has risen 10 points, it is time to clean your filter. Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.