Pool concrete around pool complete. Pool needs cleaning. But how??

ashmoussa

LifeTime Supporter
Hi TFP,
So the first phase of the pool patio around the pool, the concrete base, is now complete but a lot of the concrete dust and stuff is in the pool now. I was maintaining the pool crystal clear , thanks to TFP! :bowdown: But now the pool is cloudy. Few questions:

1. The concrete guys started this morning and I had to leave prior to them finishing and I did not get the low down on how to cure(??) the concrete. Am I supposed to water it everyday or something??

2. Now that I have a mess inside the pool water, how do I clean it???? Can/should I run this junk through my DE filter? Help plz.

3. Is it normal to have a little gap between the plastic skimmer rings and the concrete? My water is a little high due to heavy rains and the water is seeping through the skimmer extension rings.

P.S.: I will be installing pavers over the concrete

1. Never a bad idea to water down new concrete....especially in the hot summer. I would water it.

2. Do you have a manual vacuum or robot?

3. I don't know what the skimmer rings are.

1. That's what I thought. But for how long and how often?
2. I have a manual vacuum through the skimmer. No robot.
3. When I add the pavers on top of the concrete, I will need to put an extension ring. It will not lineup with the existing base piece of the skimmer and it would leave a gap where water would be able to go around and out of the skimmer. This is what's happening now. I don't know if I made sense. Pleas see pic. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433628870.934374.jpg

Usually the concrete is poured flush up to the skimmer extension. And they didn't do the best job on yours making it uniform given that they didn't go flush. I would pull up the extension, use a small grinder with diamond blade and hit hat jagged section. Then you can caulk the gap and it will look nice.

When they poured my new concrete, they did it before I opened the pool (took winter cover off, but I put the old solar cover on, knowing I was replacing it this year). They also poured the concrete up to the extension and my extension fits inside the old skimmer, instead of outside it like your picture is showing.

The PB is supposed to come back after the concrete pour to "open/clean" the pool. Hopefully, this happens soon. I am afraid to run all this **** through my pump and filter.
As for the skimmer, I contacted the concrete guy and sent him some pictures. He has not gotten back to me yet. We shall see where I get with him.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The rings are pretty generic as far as sizing goes since most skimmers use the same lids. As far as the slant is concerned, you may have to grind it to be able to sit at the angle you need. This skimmer has three extensions plus the ring for the lid. This too is a Waterway skimmer.

7.jpg

8.jpg

I'm going to have the PB open/clean the pool this week. I hope he doesn't use my pump and filter to do so. How do they typically clean after concrete pours?? Do they use their own robotic cleaners or something?
I'm also going to ask him about the skimmer and see what he says he'll do to fix it.

Do you not have a valve between the pump and filter that can be used to divert water out of the pool??

If you had one, you could vacuum to waste with your pool vacuum. Thats what I did.

Hi Dave,
I have a multi valve that has to waste but doesn't the dirty water still go through the pump?? I'm afraid the concrete would have an ill effect on the pump.

Ok then, you can certainly vacuum it to waste.
concrete is nothing but small pebbles, sand and mortar, the pump will handle that just fine. I probably vacuumed out 10 to 15 gallons of concrete out of the bottom of my pool after the deck was poured.

If the PB comes to do it, I bet money that he would use your pump and do the same thing.

Hi Dave,
I have a multi valve that has to waste but doesn't the dirty water still go through the pump?? I'm afraid the concrete would have an ill effect on the pump.

Chemistry to start off my reply:
FC: 3.5
CC: 0.5
CA: 425 or 275 (see below for explanation)
PH: 7.6

So the PB came out to do an opening and they were floored and in shock!!! They said that they could not believe their eyes! I asked why? They said they were stocked up on all sorts of chemicals to go to war on my pool's water, thinking that it would have definitely been a swamp since the pool was installed May 8th. I could not help but take a bow, literally, and say that I learned it all from TFP and I asked them to NOT add anything to the pool without me checking it first. And they were like "huh?" I didn't feel like explaining. lol

I hadn't put any salt to the pool so they added salt by the name of: "Splash Pool Salt - packaged for BUCKMAN'S" It says ... designed for use with salt water chlorine generators, no additives. Any thoughts??

My system says low salt level (2700) after about 5 hours of filter running. They may have to add more. Or I'll just run out and get some. At this "minimum" level is the chlorine being generated?? How do I know for sure???

They then proceeded to test my pool water and they were shocked again. They said everything was right on target except for calcium. I took another bow, haha!! And told them to just give me the calcium and I would add it later. The guy left me the calcium. He said it was 70. He measured it with a Taylor kit. I tested it with my T-100 kit and got 275. How is it sooo different??? But then again, when I tested it twice in a row for s..ts and giggles, from the same water sample, I got, first time 425 and the second time 275 :scratch:

As for cleaning the concrete debris from the pool, the PB used a vacuum to waste. Dave you were right!! Thanks!!!

They are coming out tomorrow to do Pool School with me. lol ... Should I ask the PB for anything or mention anything to him? What kind of questions should I be asking?

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Thanks TFP community!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.