Pool quote - suggestions?

Mar 31, 2015
Phoenix/AZ
We are finalizing on a new build in Phoenix, AZ and have received several quotes. The one below looks to be the lowest. Any suggestions are welcome.

Rectangular pool - 35X16
Depth - 3' to 5'
Inground shotcrete
Pebble Sheen
Hayward Eco Star pump
Heat and Cool system
Waveform cleaners (16 of them)
Hayward UV
Hayward Sense and Dispense
Hayward DE Pro Grid filter (largest one)
2 Venturi skimmers
Coping only - travertine
1 Hayward Universal Color Logic light
Hayward omni logic control system
4 deck jets
2 sheer descents

The quote that we got is 50K.

Bad? OK? Run away?

Did you specifically ask for a shallow pool? Such a shallow pool will heat up in your sun. That cooling system will sure be needed.

Is the Waveform cleaner an in floor cleaning system? If so, in floor systems have not had good reviews here.

I just Googled the Hayward Sense and Dispense- if I understand it, its a SWG yet ORP system? ORP systems also have not been recommended often on these boards.

Hi Antispam! Welcome to TFP! This is a wonderful site! It's one of the most active which means you'll probably find more information here than anywhere. I've only been here a short while, and I've learned tons. Also, the experts and newbies have helped me make a lot of decisions on different parts of my pool build. I think you'll find whatever you need here.

Yippee has brought up some good points. And they're a great place to start since you're getting quotes now. You'll want to gather lots of opinions and information; then weigh and measure what works best for your needs and wants.

I am getting a Polaris cleaner, but if I had found this site sooner, I would probably be getting a robot cleaner. They save on electricity and seem to clean better - especially on walls and steps (I have a lot of steps). But... I have mobility issues, so a robot worried me for taking it in and out of the pool. From my research on in-floor cleaners before I found TFP, I found most people did not have good luck with them. Some people, though have specific needs which are met by that type of cleaner.

Do some more research on the ozone and uv sanitation systems. The experts here can better explain why those are probably not the best choice. I'm not great at the technical side of pool equipment. But much of what I take away from this site is that a simpler sanitation system is probably the better way to go - chlorine system or salt water generator system. Adding UV and/or ozone system simply isn't necessary. They primarily are beneficial to a PB and an unnecessary expense to the pool owner.

Pool depth is definitely a personal choice. Yippee does bring up a valid point about the relationship between water depth and temperature. But some people WANT warm water - even those who live in hot climates (hard for me to believe, but those people do exist!!).

My last comment.... I'm always leary of the lowest bid. More often than not, there's a reason it's the lowest bid. And the reasons are not usually good. Maybe run a medium bid by the experts here. That might bring up some more good info.

I hope something here is helpful! I'm glad you came - I learn from everyone! And if you stick around, you might even have some fun! Take care! Suz.

Shallow pools hold a lot less water than deeper pools, which means less caging (rebar), less concrete (gunite), smaller pumps, filters, etc.

Nothing wrong with it if that's what YOU chose, but don't get talked into shallow pool.

At 35' long, that's a decent swimming length, and it would be nice to be able to jump in, but 5' depth will make it illegal to put diving board, and really is too shallow for all but kids to jump in.

Thanks for the suggestions. We have kids age 3 and 5. That's the reason I chose 3' to 5'. Maybe increase it to 7' at the deep end..but wife was expressing concerns!
I travel often for business and this is primarily for kids. Also, travel is the reason I wanted in-ground cleaners. I also have asked for a vacuum line if I want to put in a robot later.
These are great points to consider. Will discuss this with wife and come to a decision :)

Just remember: Children get older/bigger and learn to swim. At a young age when they're wearing a swim vest or those arm thingies, they bob around the pool no matter how deep, even jumping into the deep end cause they don't go under when wearing those vests. Perhaps the vests and swimmies provide false security, but they soon learn to swim go without. They get bigger and old enough to swim and dive for things in the pool. Cannonballs are a blast in the deep end! Get a group of 10 year olds and their will be some fun in the deep end.
All I'm trying to say is that your 3 and 5 year old won't stay that age for long. You don't want to be limited down the road.

I agree, your kids will not always be little and will be bummed when they cant have their friends over to cannonball in etc. 3 ft is very shallow and almost good for nothing in my opinion. Ours is 3.5 (too shallow) to 8' and my 6 year old spends most of her time in the deep end ( with us in of course )

I have a 20x40 that goes from 3.5' to 8.5'. I have an 8, 5, and 3 year old that use the pool now. They are all over the pool. The oldest two swim, little brother has a floatie vest thing. Go for as deep as you can and you won't regret it. We have a diving board, and would like to put a slide in eventually. You need deeper water for those two. The kids are always jumping off the diving board. The oldest is also starting to get into diving down for toys. Kids like deep water. I wish ours was at least a foot deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions. We have kids age 3 and 5. That's the reason I chose 3' to 5'. Maybe increase it to 7' at the deep end..but wife was expressing concerns!
I travel often for business and this is primarily for kids. Also, travel is the reason I wanted in-ground cleaners. I also have asked for a vacuum line if I want to put in a robot later.
These are great points to consider. Will discuss this with wife and come to a decision :)

Be sure to carefully determine minimum depth on the deep end.
There are rules/laws about minimum depth and if you don't meet them, you will not be able to use certain diving boards and/or water slides.

http://www.srsmith.com/media/47241/06-052ansi-standard.pdf

As others said, when it comes to deep end, there is no such thing as too deep.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I live in NM, and like AZ, we get a lot of fine dirt/dust in the air. The in-floor cleaning system works great for this, and saves many, many hours of manual vacuuming. It does not work so well on bigger leaves and heavier debris. I find the combination of an auto cover and in-floor system means I almost never have to do any manual cleaning.

Re: your quote, I see it only includes travertine coping, but no decking. Do you plan to want some sort of decking around the pool?

My suggestion is to think long term. Folks that build their pools for their kids only use it while the kids are little and then they wish they never installed it. Make sure it works for the adults too! A spa to soak in, a Baja step to lounge in. I don't hear about many pools 8 feet deep or more out here. Too much water to heat and so nobody wants to go in. I can't imagine cooling a pool, whaat? Good luck, hope it turns out great!

I keep on seeing in responses that in-floor systems do not get good reviews on this site. I for one have an in-floor system and couldn't be happier with it. I, as well as others, have written great reviews on them. It is fair to say if you have a lot of debris like leaves flying around, you may want a suction side or robot cleaner. I have had three pools over the last 20 years with 2 of them having the suction side cleaner or robot. My current pool that we just built with the in-floor system allows the mosaic to pop without the visual of a cleaner in the pool

Did you specifically ask for a shallow pool? Such a shallow pool will heat up in your sun. That cooling system will sure be needed.

Is the Waveform cleaner an in floor cleaning system? If so, in floor systems have not had good reviews here.
I just Googled the Hayward Sense and Dispense- if I understand it, its a SWG yet ORP system? ORP systems also have not been recommended often on these boards.

Here's my opinion (DM me if you want specifics) -

1. Ditch the in-floor system and go with a robot

2. Lose the ORP and UV/Ozone system

3. Lose the deck jets

4. Increase pool depth

Use $$$ saved to put in a solid safety auto-cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 3 year old that is a fair swimmer. I don't want this to sound terrible, but a child that small can drown in 5' water just as easy as my 9' pool. What are you doing for safety? I installed a KAtchakid net and am very happy with it. I have The PoolCleaner suction side that cleans the pool very well. I never need to manually clean, just brush once a week out of habit.

Our pool goes 3.5 to 5 to 3.5 and is perfect for what we wanted. I don't subscribe to the philosophy that bigger/deeper is always better. There are plenty of threads here and on other forums discussing ideal depths. You just have to do the research and look at what matters most to you. We were lucky in that our friends had a 3.5-5-3.5 pool, so we could draw on that experience.

Thanks, everyone. I think we will go for a deeper pool - maybe 3.5 to 8 :). One of my neighbors swears by the PV3 infloor cleaning system. As @PoolESQ mentions, we get very few leaves but lot of fine dust. These things are great at pushing dust into the drain. It may not work in areas where leaves are the primary concern, but in AZ, it is the darn dust!
We do have a large(it) deck area at the far end of the pool .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.