Question about running the filter during shocking

JohnLA

Jun 6, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Hi there!
Haven't had a problem for years with my pool, (follow troublefreepool program) however I guess I slipped and I have a slight bloom of green algae on the steps. Beginning shock treatment today.
Just curious to know if it's absolutely essential to run the filter *continuously* during shocking, and what the real benefits are for doing that. Is it possible to run just for a portion of the days (for example -throughout the day, but not at night) ? The reason I ask, is that the electric bill is going to KILL me ($$$) next month if I run the pump continuously for a few days.
Has anyone tried shocking and just running the pump for several hours during each day with success? (8-10 hours a day for example?).
Thanks in advance!
John

It is sort of necessary. Not so much for filtering but for circulation. When the bleach kills the algae, there's no more bleach in that area. And if the water is not circulating, no fresh bleach gets moved in to replace it. So whatever algae is left in the localized area gets a free ride and can reproduce.

Get right on that algae and brush the $#!? out of it. The faster you kill it, the faster the SLAM is over, and the sooner you can revert to a normal filter schedule. If it's just some patches on the floor, it could be just a matter of a day or two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.