Need to lower TA and raise CyA

Bon

May 15, 2015
Arnprior, Ontario Canada
Need some help please!! :(
I'm trying to lower my Alk which is currently at 180, and need to raise my CyA which is at 30. My pH is sitting at 6.8 in which I know I will need to bring up once I have the Alk at 100 - 120. I've been trying to lower the Alk and raise the CyA using hth stabilizer and conditioner, it doesn't seem to be moving. What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do??

I am using the hth 6 - way strips.

First of all, read almost every thread in this section. They all say the same thing to new users of TFP. Get a real test kit. Taylor K-2006 or TF-100. The test strips are garbage, and will just cause you headaches.

Secondly, assuming your readings are even somewhat close to correct, you need to get your pH up some before adding CYA. CYA will lower pH, and 6.8 is the absolute lowest you should go.

CYA also takes 4 days to a week to correctly show up in tests. If you just added it, wait a few days then test again. This is plenty of time for you to order your test kit and have it delivered. They are quick!

First of all, read almost every thread in this section. They all say the same thing to new users of TFP. Get a real test kit. Taylor K-2006 or TF-100. The test strips are garbage, and will just cause you headaches.

Secondly, assuming your readings are even somewhat close to correct, you need to get your pH up some before adding CYA. CYA will lower pH, and 6.8 is the absolute lowest you should go.

CYA also takes 4 days to a week to correctly show up in tests. If you just added it, wait a few days then test again. This is plenty of time for you to order your test kit and have it delivered. They are quick!

Hi Scuba_Steve. thanks for replying. I've read the threads on here, and I do realize that I need the Taylor kit, and will get one asap, they're very expensive here in Canada, regardless I need one. I did the poolmath and it's telling me the following....

Given TA of 180 and Borate of 0:
Add by weight 45ozs. or 39oz by volume of washing soda or soda ash
or add 89 oz by weight or 86 oz by volume of borax.
Add 0 of 31.45% - 20° Baumé muriatic acid
or add 0 by weight or 0 by volume of dry acid.
Note: pH calculations depend on TA and Borate. Results are approximate and can be off significantly for large pH changes. Changing your pH will also change your TA.

Should I do the borax to lower the Alk?

No. Borax will raise your TA. The only way to effectively lower TA is to lower your PH to 6.8-7.0 and aerate it until it comes back up to 7.2-7.4. Repeat.

As I said, your CYA is low so that is the first thing you should address. To do that you need to raise your ph up a bit first. So add the washing soda, fix your cya, then worry about TA.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW the borax figure is to add borates to your water, because you plugged in borates of 0. This isn't necessary, but make your water "feel" better. If you have the test for it, do this after your TA is in line.

No. Borax will raise your TA. The only way to effectively lower TA is to lower your PH to 6.8-7.0 and aerate it until it comes back up to 7.2-7.4. Repeat.

As I said, your CYA is low so that is the first thing you should address. To do that you need to raise your ph up a bit first. So add the washing soda, fix your cya, then worry about TA.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW the borax figure is to add borates to your water, because you plugged in borates of 0. This isn't necessary, but make your water "feel" better. If you have the test for it, do this after your TA is in line.

Okay, thanks! I'm currently aerating it now using my pump and SWG system, may take a while though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.