Sand filter vs Cartridge Filter

Jun 5, 2015
Indianapolis
I had an in ground pool built last year and it came with a cartridge filter. I have had a lot of problems opening the pool this year and one of my complaints has been that the cartridge filter gets dirty and I have to wash it out daily. The builder has offered to come out and exchange the cartridge filter and install a sand filter and pump at no charge.

So my question is...which one is better, sand or cartridge?

Oh my, this is one of those questions that come down to personal choice. The problem I see with most cartridge filters is that they are generally too small for the pool. The folks who have those huge 4 cartridge jobs seem to love them.

Now the key question, could something be growing in the water and the filter is doing its job and filtering stuff out? Have you conducted an OCLT to see if anything is growing? Using a PermaSalt system I would not be surprised if something was in the water.

Looking at your other post, your problem is with your chemistry and needing to get that in check. I have a cartridge filter that I clean about once a month because my chemistry is balanced using the TFPC methods. A sand filter is easier to clean but does not clean your water as quickly as a cartridge. However, the sand almost never needs replaced where you need to occasionally replace a cartridge. So both have their ups and downs, neither is really overall better than the other. You can change it out, but it is not going to change the problems you are having with your water.

After reading Donldson's post I went and looked - I am more convinced that you have a chemistry problem, not a filter problem. The pool builder did you no favor selling you the PermaSalt.

The reason the builder is offering to install a sand filter is because it is supposed to be easier to operate and I am nowhere near a pool expert! But mainly because we don't have an automatic cover for the pool, so there is a lot of debris in it each morning. I've been vacuuming the pool for a week trying to get the gunk of the floor and each time I make a little progress but the water gets so cloudy I can't see the bottom. I really haven't done much with the chemicals in the last few days, I've been running the pump and vacuuming a couple times a day and I have to clean the cartridge at least twice a day..

They have also shown different options if I want to switch from permasalt to either a chlorinator or salt water system. But I haven't decided about that yet..

Well, if they are offering that, I would take a SWCG in a heartbeat.

This is going to sound harsh, but I really don't mean it that way. You are trying to fix a chemistry problem with filtration. It will never work. The stuff growing in the water can double in size in less than a day. You can't beat it with a vacuum. You have to use chlorine, lots of it.

Well, if they are offering that, I would take a SWCG in a heartbeat.

This is going to sound harsh, but I really don't mean it that way. You are trying to fix a chemistry problem with filtration. It will never work. The stuff growing in the water can double in size in less than a day. You can't beat it with a vacuum. You have to use chlorine, lots of it.
Well said tim5055, I couldn't agree more.

Also, opening with a cartridge filter takes special consideration. You don't really want to start filtering the water until all the algae is dead or as you found out, you will be cleaning the filter quite often (unless you have a very large filter). A filter bypass can be really useful during this period so you can SLAM and recirculate the water without filtering. Once the algae is dead and sinks to the bottom of the pool, you can vacuum to waste, if you have the capability (another good idea), or you can start using your filter to remove it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, opening with a cartridge filter takes special consideration. You don't really want to start filtering the water until all the algae is dead or as you found out, you will be cleaning the filter quite often (unless you have a very large filter). A filter bypass can be really useful during this period so you can SLAM and recirculate the water without filtering. Once the algae is dead and sinks to the bottom of the pool, you can vacuum to waste, if you have the capability (another good idea), or you can start using your filter to remove it.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, didn't want to start a new one as my question isn't different.

I currently have a 4-cartridge filter and despise having to take it apart, lug out the pressure washer, and spend half an hour spraying the filters down, even if it's only every few weeks. I noticed one of the main arguments against a sand filter is the fact that it can throw chemistry off due to the required backwashing. But whenever it rains, wouldn't a cartridge filter user be forced to purge to waste, causing the same issue? And in the same vein, do sand filter users use rain events to backwash?

I'm considering switching to sand next season now that my cartridges are about spent. Has anyone that switched from cartridge to sand have any regrets? I'm imagining, and maybe this is just 'grass greener syndrome', that I'll love it because I'll be doing beneficial backwashing instead of just draining to waste after each rainstorm.

personally - When I have enough rain to require draining the pool down - I backwash it out, along with the 30 sec rinse afterwards. My thinking is that I'm dumping water out anyway - so might was well cleanout the filter while I'm at it.

Filter type - all 3 types have their pluses and minuses. However - one general thing you can say is that you should get as big a filter as you can afford / fit in the space. The bigger the filter - the less often it needs cleaned.

I've only ever used a sand filter, so I'm comfortable with that. Other people will say that DE or cartridge filters can remove more smaller particles.

Good luck.

No regrets here. Over the years I've had cartridge, DE and sand filters. I currently own two homes with IG pools. 12,000 gallon and 30,000 gallon. Both have sand filters. They save me time and money over the other two choices and the filtration has never been an issue using basic #20 grade pool sand. I have suction-side cleaners in both pools so my sand filters get all of the fine vacuumed debris as well.

I currently have a 4-cartridge filter and despise having to take it apart, lug out the pressure washer, and spend half an hour spraying the filters down, even if it's only every few weeks
What size cartridge do you have? I only clean mine once per year even though I never close the pool.

I noticed one of the main arguments against a sand filter is the fact that it can throw chemistry off due to the required backwashing. But whenever it rains, wouldn't a cartridge filter user be forced to purge to waste, causing the same issue?
Yes but I think in most cases, backwashing for filter cleaning is far more frequent than lowering pool levels but it does depend on where you live. I hardly ever need to lower the pool level.

But before switching make sure your city doesn't require separation tanks like ours does. Cleaning the separation tank is pretty much the same as cleaning a cartridge filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.