Test strips say no chlorine

Jun 6, 2015
Walkersville MD
Hello. We had a professional open our pool 4 days ago. He put in 2 bags of shock. We tested the next day and it read no chlorine. We added 4 3" pucks, tested the next day, still nothing. Since then, we have added 2 full 121 oz jugs of 8% bleach. Still not registering any chlorine. It hasn't even been that hot or sunny. Everything else on the test strip is within normal ranges (ph, etc). Now what?

You need your own quality test kit. Test stirs are bad on a good day.

If the chlorine level is too high the strip can bleach out and show no FC. So, you either have no chlorine or very high chlorine.

I recomend you order a TF100 today. TFTestkits.net

Oh man now I'm scared I've put 10 times as much chlorine in as I should have! I know we have a better testing kit around here I just can't find it at the moment. I'll report back as soon as I do. Also - the water looks almost too blue. Is that a sign of something? Thank you all for your suggestions.

Oh man now I'm scared I've put 10 times as much chlorine in as I should have! I know we have a better testing kit around here I just can't find it at the moment. I'll report back as soon as I do. Also - the water looks almost too blue. Is that a sign of something? Thank you all for your suggestions.
If you got the test kit at a pool store or other store the limit of the chlorine test is probably 5ppm.

You really do want the kit we recomend.

No, too blue is not a sign of anything I know of.

If you did over chlorinate it will come down in a couple of days.

So both of the kits recommended look like they are around $50-$60. Is there a more budget friendly option?
Not really. A TF100 and the XL option will get you free shipping and carry you through this season and probably most of next year as well. Go hang out at the pool store tomorrow and see how much people are spending there on generally useless chemicals and bad advice and weigh the difference.

Bec2854,

What folks above are saying is we will teach you and you will learn to manage your pool yourself. You can keep the money you paid to the folks to open your pool, you can keep the money the Pool Store will talk you in to.

BUT..... Almost everything we teach begins with accurate and dependable test results........there is no substitute. So the "budget-friendly" strips don't work and neither will the "free" testing you get at the pool store.

Take charge of your pool....don't let others do it for you. To start that, you will have to give the forum the kind of precise numbers it needs to help you.

Read through the many threads on here.....you'll be a believer.

First, welcome to TFP!

Simply put, would you pay $50 to save $500? I'm not joking since that is about what I am saving a year by not running the overpriced chlorinator we had or shocking weekly or doing any of the stuff we used to do with our pool. It is also kind of nice that our water is way clearer than before too. It literally saved me money to get better water quality. That is what TFPC does.

It is your pool and your call. I am just offering my own experience as an example.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay so there is definitely chlorine in there! I found the other test kit we bought last year (hth 6 way test kit) and tested while I wait for my Taylor K-2006 to arrive and chlorine matched somewhere between 2 and 10 ppm (all those shades of yellow look the same to me). I really hope this new kit is easier to read! Thanks all for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.