How to connect hose to vacuum pool?

A picture might help, if we can see through the water to the bottom of the skimmer. ;)

I found a threaded PVC pipe coupling that slips into the hole in my skimmer without going past the internal lip. The vacuum hose is a snug fit in the threaded end. Works perfect for me. Almost too much suction.

It's quite common to have the main drain plumbed to the skimmer, so there will be two ports. If the pool isn't plumbed that way, they plug the unused port. You can try finding something like I did or use a vacuum plate. The vacuum plate's actually not a bad idea, because it can sit above the basket and catch most of the debris before it gets to the pump strainer. Just measure the diameter of the skimmer opening and get one that fits.
WATERWORT-VacuumPlate.jpg
http://www.lowes.com/pd_2435-1003-VP_0__?productId=3027674

For those of us with main drains plumbed to the skimmer, does the flying saucer water diverter stay in, or should we pull out the diverter?

I can put my vacuum hose into the main suction port at the bottom of the skimmer, but I use a skimmer plate so the skimmer basket and sock can catch more of the crud instead of the pump strainer. Was just curious about whether or not to leave the diverter in place or not.

Skimmer thing.jpg

For those of us with main drains plumbed to the skimmer, does the flying saucer water diverter stay in, or should we pull out the diverter?

I can put my vacuum hose into the main suction port at the bottom of the skimmer, but I use a skimmer plate so the skimmer basket and sock can catch more of the crud instead of the pump strainer. Was just curious about whether or not to leave the diverter in place or not.

View attachment 37828
You'll have to experiment and find out. I tried vacuuming with the diverter in place and it didn't work. The pump had the choice between pulling water up through a relatively short fat pipe or a long, twisted narrow hose and the gap between the vacuum head and the floor. The main drain won and it didn't vacuum worth beans.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it possible to just plug directly into the skimmers one port if I submerge the line first? I will get a plate if needed though I don't wanna damage my new pump/filter. I just wondered if I submerge the hose and get the air out then plug into the one skimmer port it could work? I also need to find out what other chemicals to add. I have a little test strip deal they left behind that looks old as ****. Has two eye droppers of stuff with a small double vialed measureed piece but I have no idea what any of those measurements mean lol.

Is it possible to just plug directly into the skimmers one port if I submerge the line first? I will get a plate if needed though I don't wanna damage my new pump/filter. I just wondered if I submerge the hose and get the air out then plug into the one skimmer port it could work?
Yes. That's what I do. However, I don't get a lot of debris blown into my pool, mostly just dust, so clogging the pipes with a wad of soggy leaves isn't a huge worry for me. Others may not be so fortunate.
I also need to find out what other chemicals to add. I have a little test strip deal they left behind that looks old as ****. Has two eye droppers of stuff with a small double vialed measureed piece but I have no idea what any of those measurements mean lol.
Spend the money and invest in a proper test kit. You'll love being in control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.