Pump overheats ever since electrician put something else on that outlet

Probably not wise to do. I would just turn it off until they can fix it or turn off what ever they connected on the circuit. BTW, what did they put on the circuit and can the circuit handle the amperage of both devices?

They put three sump pumps under my house that draw power all the time; granted not as much as when they occasionally are pumping. I also have my pool light and some outdoor lights on that circuit. Never had a problem until they did that.

I was under the impression that a pool should be on its own dedicated GFCI circuit. More than one reason for that I suppose. But you would think an electrician would know that as well unless it was too much work to try and run a new line for your sump pumps. Just my guess. Maybe he did the math and figured it "should" be okay.

I think them adding the pumps and the overheating is a coincidence. Adding load to a circuit wouldn't cause the pump to overheat. If it did anything it would have caused the breaker to trip.

Pump motors run hot to begin with. How hot is it getting? Do you have something that you can actually test the temp with? If not, can you force yourself to hold your hand on it for 8 seconds?

Not only should the pool have it's own dedicated circuit, I don't think you want the sump pumps sharing a circuit with anything either...when the sump pumps are needed, you don't want to have anything interfere with their ability to do their job, such as overloading a circuit and then getting water in your basement....

I think them adding the pumps and the overheating is a coincidence. Adding load to a circuit wouldn't cause the pump to overheat. If it did anything it would have caused the breaker to trip.

Pump motors run hot to begin with. How hot is it getting? Do you have something that you can actually test the temp with? If not, can you force yourself to hold your hand on it for 8 seconds?

No, I can't even put my hand near it because of the radiant heat. No telling what the temperature is. I leave it off during the day and turn it on at night. It does a little better at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.