To SLAM or not to SLAM

Jun 4, 2015
Honeoye Falls
Hello,
I'm new to TFP and my first thought is to SLAM my pool to get started.

On the other hand, my TF-100 numbers don't seem too bad (other than low chlorine and high TA):
FC=0.5
CC=0
TC=0.5
CH=275
TA=160
CYA=60

No algae, water is a bit blue.

Should I SLAM or just get the FC level up to 3ppm?

Thanks

Welcome! :wave: The following link had a good post on blue water. Give it a read and see if it still applies to you.

Why is my water blue?

- - - Updated - - -

PS - Don't let that CYA creep-up on you any higher. :) You're not using any tablets right?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes- Definitely get that FC up to the minimum 3!

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, what was your PH? I didn't see that above. And TA will need to come down a bit too. See the Recommend Levels chart below in my link.

I just stopped using tablets. Switched to bleach.
I did just add Kleen Pool algaecide about a month ago. That could be the reason for the water looking blue; a bit of copper.
Would you recommend that I empty 1/2 the pool to get rid of the copper?

pH 7.5

Hi there.
The overnight chlorine loss test passed as it went from 5ppm to 4ppm of FC with CC at 0.5ppm for both readings in a 9 hour period between 9PM and 6AM. It seems that there is no need to SLAM.
Can someone verify that I need to keep my FC level at 8ppm with my CYA at 70? It seems high. Also my daily K-1000 chlorine test that came with the TS-100 test kit does not go that high. Does that mean that I have to use the FAS/DPD test daily?
Thanks for you help !

Hi there.
The overnight chlorine loss test passed as it went from 5ppm to 4ppm of FC with CC at 0.5ppm for both readings in a 9 hour period between 9PM and 6AM. It seems that there is no need to SLAM.
Can someone verify that I need to keep my FC level at 8ppm with my CYA at 70? It seems high. Also my daily K-1000 chlorine test that came with the TS-100 test kit does not go that high. Does that mean that I have to use the FAS/DPD test daily?
Thanks for you help !
You have just discovered one of the pitfalls of maintaining a pool with high CYA -- the chlorine testing.

Yes, you'll need to use the FAS-DPD every day for a while. Eventually, you'll know pretty much what results you'll see before you test, and at that point you can just dump in the usual amount and test every other day. Your minimum FC is 5, so you target 8 so it stays above 5 until the next time you test and add. Eventually, you'll also be able to just glance at the OTO test and ensure you're above the highest reading and add the usual.

You've reached a new level of intimacy with your pool chemistry. Don't rush the relationship, take the time to get to know it through frequent testing.

Thank you all for your help! I'll keep an eye on the FC for the next few weeks to keep it between 5-8ppm. I only had to add 46 oz this morning (12.5% Cl) as it had drifted down to 6.5ppm since my last Cl addition. Next season I'll try to lower the CYA.

What are your thoughts on using a solar cover with that much chlorine in the water?

Thanks again!

Thank you all for your help! I'll keep an eye on the FC for the next few weeks to keep it between 5-8ppm. I only had to add 46 oz this morning (12.5% Cl) as it had drifted down to 6.5ppm since my last Cl addition. Next season I'll try to lower the CYA.

What are your thoughts on using a solar cover with that much chlorine in the water?

Thanks again!
It's no big deal. The actual aggressive chlorine is less than you're allowed in tap water with no CYA in it. That's why you can step in wearing a colored swimsuit and not step out in a white one. I've swam around underwater with my eyes open in 20 FC before. CYA was over 200, so it was no problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.