Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confirm for me: Do I have a hole in my pool cover?!

1. Back To Top    #1

Confirm for me: Do I have a hole in my pool cover?!

First time homeowner here and the house came with a pool. 17' round AGP. We enjoyed it this summer and now I am a first time pool closer. I used the cover that the previous owners left. I had no reason to believe that it was bad.

Here is the deal: I drained a couple inches below the return jet. Added proper chems, installed the pillow and cover and that was that. Couple weeks pass and I notice a lot of water on the cover. (I rained a tad, sure.) I buy a pump and start pumping. Drained most of it out no problem. A few days later, (it DID rain a little bit) the cover had a lot of water again. I've pumped maybe 3 or 4 times. Lately I have noticed that the pool water level under the cover is wayyy down!

Using my brain I have to conclude that there is a hole in my cover and I HAVE BEEN PUMPING GOOD POOL WATER OUT THIS WHOLE TIME! Can you confirm this for me?

Do you guys recommend refilling a few inches and a new cover before before the REAL winter starts here in Buffalo, NY?
    18ft Round x 4ft deep AGP. Approx 7800 gallon.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confirm for me: Do I have a hole in my pool cover?!

Sounds like it, and I would definitely suggest both new water and a new cover. The cover for obvious reasons and the water in order to keep the liner in place.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Confirm for me: Do I have a hole in my pool cover?!

ARG! I knew it. Hopefully I can get a good deal on one now that its way past closing time here in Buffalo.
    18ft Round x 4ft deep AGP. Approx 7800 gallon.