Hayward PL-P4 operation questions

BHorn

May 31, 2015
Barrie/Ontario
Hello,

I am looking to install a Hayward PL-P4 to control pool functions on a new pool install. I will be controlling the following:

Pool Pump: Hayward Super Pump VS (Sadly no output for remote control, however that ribbon cable looks very tempting to ......:rolleyes:

Stair jets

Solar Heat feed

Lights

The manual Hayward has produced is quite confusing and there are lots of wasted pages in the operation manual dealing with pool chemistry that Hayward covers in the installation manual. Specifically when it comes to programming the unit.

My question is:

My intention is to control the Stair Jets with an automatic actuator fitted to a three way valve - this would be the SPA function of the controller. If I connect the actuator to Valve 1, do i need to have anything connected to valve 2 output. The manual says that the Valve 1 and Valve 2 operate together in SPA mode to change the pool suction over to spa suction and the pool return over to spa return. If I only connect the 1 valve to allow for the pool return to change to jet return will the controller throw a fit because there is no load on the other valve? Can the valve output be programmed to off in spa mode and used for something else - such as pool slide water if I so wished?

For the Solar end of it, I was given 7 flat panels for the pool to provide some additional heat free from a friend. The pool is directly South, the panels will face south and there is no shade on the pool or panels for a majority of the day - One tree will be coming down and the shade issue is done. The pool can rise 5 degrees in the day when it is sunny and hot just on its own. Anyway, right now I just have the one pump and Solar will be a bit of a trial, if it works, I may add more panels and perhaps an auxiliary pump to just feed the solar. The Hayward Manual indicates that you would use the light relay to operate this pump and configure it for Solar. Can the Aux 1 and Aux 2 be configured for Solar to run a circ pump and keep the light relay for lights? The manual gets a bit weird in its writing for this.

Thanks for any input!

Come on Summer!!:D

Good day, If I were you I would consider the PS4 rather than the P4. more options. As long as you do not set the config for a pool/spa and set it for pool only you can separate the valves and operate them with aux 1 and aux 2.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.