Shocked pool to rid algae and water is milky white

Oct 20, 2008
LONG ISLAND NY
Since yesterday nov 9 at 3 pm i have been adding pool shock (calcium hypochloride) to my pool water. to keep the water at shock level. today i added 3 gallons of regular bleach over a period of 7 hrs now the green seems to be gone but the water is milky white. i cleaned the cartrige filter
and brushed the pool twice today while adding the chemicals.

i posted this similar post earlier but i didnt get a response so i went to look for the post and i cant find it on the site so if this is a duplicate please forgive my error.

i use HTH teststrips these are the last numbers

tot hardness th 100
fc seemed to be 0 so i just added 1 .5 gal of bleach now the number is 10 it also gives a reading for bromine that number is 20
ph between 7.2 -7.5
ta 120
cya aproximatly 20

i am so confused .

did i do something wrong?

why is it milky?
someone please help

thanks so much tom

Re: SHOCKED POOL TO RID ALGAE AND WATER IS MILKY WHITE

The shocking did it's job and killed the algae. Bleached out the green from it and now you need the cart to remove it. :wink: See this Pool School article.

Did you use any algacide? Sometimes a linear quat will turn milky in high cl.

Don't freak, milky is much better than green :goodjob: Make sure to keep up the cl until the water clears - you may have to rinse the filter 1, 2 or more times a day to remove the dead algae from the pool.

You're on the downhill side of this battle, keep up the patience and let the filter do it's job :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.