Repairing Concrete Coping

PhilR

Jul 21, 2013
Beaverton, OR
We've been in our house a couple of years, and now it's time to try to fix the pool coping that the prior owners had let go. As you can see from the picture, the coping was painted blue, and now it's fading and peeling. It's also cracking and chunks are breaking off. I've powerwashed it, and I'm getting ready to try to patch it, but have a few questions:

1. Any special type of concrete or cement I should use to patch it?

2. Is there a particular type of paint I should use to repaint it? If there are realistic alternatives, I'm open to ideas, but I think that with patches and old paint I think I'm painting again.

3. I'll need to replace the caulk, too. I'm assuming that I just get the old junk out, and replace it with a polyurethane caulk/sealant.

If it makes a difference, I'm in the Portland, OR area. Thanks!

I would power wash the coping and remove the paint. Rent a 3500 psi power washer. Quikrete has a concrete resurfacing cement that appears to be good. I have not used the product but was considering it as well. Whatever cement you decide on, make certain you can "feather edge" it. All you really need is a "skim coat" on the old surface which is sound. All other repairs may need a different cement. Once repaired, apply a "skim coat" over the repair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.