Concrete pool up north

Henry~

It's a Holiday every day where I come from! :mrgreen: We don't need an excuse to drink! :-D It only sucks when ya run outta beer. :( I am going to a surprise birthday party on Saturday and when I get there, I'm gonna say... SURPRISE! I'm here to drink all your beer! :mrgreen: :whoot: :party: :cheers:

Have a happy and safe midsummers day! 8) Can't wait to see your pool full and you floating on a raft with a draft <beer>! :mrgreen:

Hi there!
I did as you said and drank to all of you 8) so concrete cap today :shock: Despite that did I manage to do some use with the framework on the roof that I have to put up before I begin the tile work next weekend.
ACDC tomorrow in Gothenburg.... Rock on everybody :party: :party:

[attachment=0:3ass78dn]Final choice!IMG_4010.gif[/attachment:3ass78dn]

Attachments

• Final choice!IMG_4010.gif
    Final choice!IMG_4010.gif
    187 KB · Views: 1,086
Hi!
I would like to hear what you think about the following specualtions from my side :-D
I have done a mistake when I chose skimmers to our pool. The skimmer I've mounted is meant to be at a liner pool if I'm not completely wrong. Now when I have seen Toms skimmer (posted earlier in this thread) I suddenly understood that it was a skimmer like the one he has used I should have mounted instead. So the question is! Would it be possible to go out with the mosaik all the way on to the 15mm plastic edge where the plastic frame actually should be mounted, and just leave it that way without the plastic frame? since the mosaik is just 20X20mm there will be not much bonding to the concrete on that plate. Maybe I could use another type of fix/glue just on those plates?
[attachment=1:1tk0lir4]omg not another picIMG_4108.gif[/attachment:1tk0lir4]

Besides from that everything is ready to start grinding/tileing the pool next weekend when I also start my two weeks vacation :goodjob: When I'm done tileing the pool there is a 21 days delay before we can fill it with water. meanwhile I have plenty of time to do the plumbing in the machine room. So forward with all the strengths and effort to get those 8500 tile plates on place :whoot:
Thanks!

[attachment=0:1tk0lir4]omg not another picIMG_5378.gif[/attachment:1tk0lir4]

Attachments

• omg not another picIMG_4108.gif
    omg not another picIMG_4108.gif
    166.2 KB · Views: 962
  • omg not another picIMG_5378.gif
    omg not another picIMG_5378.gif
    187.9 KB · Views: 964
Maybe I could use another type of fix/glue just on those plates?
Yes. I would use a 2 part epoxy mastic where the tile and plastic meet. Once you get these epoxied in place, then you can go around the rest of the pool with regular thinset.

Thinset here in the US is what is used to bond tile to concrete. It may be called something else in Sweden.

Here in the US, they make a special epoxy mastic for adhering tiles to fibreglas or plastic surfaces but I think any epoxy will be fine as long as you get one that doesn't set up so quickly you cannot position the tiles.

Great to hear Dave!
Do you have Plastic padding in the US? That is a two component (I think) epoxy. I shall look that up tomorrow. If it work good I will place mosaic a bit in the skimmer aswell so it end up looking like Toms.

One thing I forgot that may cause a problem. If you install the tiles over the plastic with epoxy, I'm pretty sure you will need to use the epoxy grout (grout is what fills in between the tiles) as well.

I have put down a lot of tile with regular masonry (cement) grout but I have never used the epoxy. I think it may be difficult to work with. Professionals do it all the time but it may be very hard to do a good job......I just don't know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't know if they do swimming pools or not, but I've had good luck looking up other sorts of tiling jobs on the John Bridge - Tile Your World Forums - They seem like good folks, and have a lot of pros that can probably give good advise as to materials and techniques... (They helped me considerably on building a hearth extension in order to put in a new wood stove...)

I have never tried using it, but from what I've heard, the epoxy grouts aren't any harder to work with than the traditional ones, other than that you have to be more careful about the cleanup, as you will have more trouble trying to remove any excess once it's set up...

Gooserider

duraleigh said:
One thing I forgot that may cause a problem. If you install the tiles over the plastic with epoxy, I'm pretty sure you will need to use the epoxy grout (grout is what fills in between the tiles) as well.

I have put down a lot of tile with regular masonry (cement) grout but I have never used the epoxy. I think it may be difficult to work with. Professionals do it all the time but it may be very hard to do a good job......I just don't know.

Actually epoxy grout is what I have planned to use. Since the porcelain tiles and the glasmosaik doesen't absorb any water(or very little so) I would like to have a water tight joint in between the plates so I won't get any water behind and it last much longer compared to regular cement grout, if I'm correct informed. Just like Gooserider says is it important that you get all of the grout off the plate direct. When it stuck it's stuck sort of say. I have never done it myself but I think it's doable.

Thanks guys!

I have to ask a question again.
I'm trying to choose which supplier of water proofing system I shall use. Mapei's mapelastic or Basf product pci seccural.
Anyone familiar with any of them?

They are similar in price and I can't decide which I should choose. Both of them are cement based but on the Mapei's mapelastic do they use a fiber mesh in between the two coats, which is not necessary on Basf's product.
I hate decisions like this one. I have searched the internet for hours and the more I read the more unsure do I get. I seriously think I have to flip a coin.

//Mats

hahaha Dave cheers mate :cheers:
That is a video that can make me become a deadhead fan, what a perfomance!! That is rock'n roll for real, real music live and direct :whoot:

I'm a real Dylan fan and don't really goes to any other concerts but his! Imagine someone that get told by his better part that you're not allowed to play Dylan tonight when we have our friends over for dinner :-D - A very good friends wife once told me something like... Play a few songs for us Mats, we know we have to go through it anyway before the evening ends :party: It's on that level I'm just a geek when I have a few beers :cheers:
With that being said I was only sort of hanging along with my friends to the ACDC concert with no expectations. I have listen to ACDC back in the 80's. I stop buying the records after the white album, I can't remember the name of it right now, anyway I was so overwhelmed after the concert so it was almost ridiculous. The intro to the concert with the running freight train on the big screens that went louder and louder was SOOO cool. we had seats but ended up standing all through the concert. This video was shot from the point we had our seats http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC8ZiHyRT2Y

Shoot to thrill was best for the evening
//Mats

Henry Porter said:
That is a video that can make me become a deadhead fan, what a perfomance!! That is rock'n roll for real, real music live and direct :whoot:

I'm a real Dylan fan and don't really goes to any other concerts but his! Imagine someone that get told by his better part that you're not allowed to play Dylan tonight when we have our friends over for dinner :-D - A very good friends wife once told me something like... Play a few songs for us Mats, we know we have to go through it anyway before the evening ends :party: It's on that level I'm just a geek when I have a few beers :cheers:
With that being said I was only sort of hanging along with my friends to the ACDC concert with no expectations. I have listen to ACDC back in the 80's. I stop buying the records after the white album, I can't remember the name of it right now, anyway I was so overwhelmed after the concert so it was almost ridiculous. The intro to the concert with the running freight train on the big screens that went louder and louder was SOOO cool. we had seats but ended up standing all through the concert. This video was shot from the point we had our seats http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC8ZiHyRT2Y

//Mats

If you want some good amusment, look up the band "Hayseed Dixie" - it is a spoof band that does AC/DC and other heavy metal group song covers in Progressive Country / Bluegrass style... Sounds bizarre, but it actually works pretty good... The band's claimed biography is that they were a group growing up in hillbilly country slightly less advanced than the area where the movie "Deliverance" was filmed :shock: They had some long haired stranger show up in a horseless carriage with this thing he called an "8-track player" in it that made the most amazing music. After something unmentionable happened to the stranger and his carriage, they started trying to play the same kind of music on their existing instruments.... Lots of fun!

Gooserider

Henry Porter said:

That's cool, but it doesn't bother you that you can't understand a word he sings?

HAH! Just kidding dude, don't you tired of hearing that kind of garbage?!? Dylan's a musical genius... There is a biography that aired on public broadcasting over here that I would love to own. Modern music just wouldn't be the same if it weren't for Dylan.

WOW! BIG CROWD!!! Glad you had a good time, Mats. I haven't been to a show like that since the 80's. I think the last AC/DC show I saw was on the "For Those About To Rock" tour. I listen to jazz mostly nowadays although my musical taste is very diverse and just as eclectic. But I'll always carry a soft spot in my heart for ACK DACK, especially the old stuff with Bon Scott. That combo of blues, punk, and gritty rock and roll was just one of a kind.

Oh, and BTW, that Hayseed Dixie stuff is the shizz, Gooserider. Love me some rockin' bluegrass...

//Mats

Anyhoo, sorry for hijacking the thread, carry on with the pool building!

Henry Porter said:
I have to ask a question again.
I'm trying to choose which supplier of water proofing system I shall use. Mapei's mapelastic or Basf product pci seccural.
Anyone familiar with any of them?

They are similar in price and I can't decide which I should choose. Both of them are cement based but on the Mapei's mapelastic do they use a fiber mesh in between the two coats, which is not necessary on Basf's product.
I hate decisions like this one. I have searched the internet for hours and the more I read the more unsure do I get. I seriously think I have to flip a coin.

//Mats

mapeis mapelastic is a great product that we use all the time for waterproofing. Mostly decks and Lani's in condos though. I would also recommend mapeis opticolor grout. It is a new type of epoxy that is 100x's easier to use and clean then old school epoxy grout. I am in the flooring business and am quite familiar with most products.

What size are the mosaic tiles that you are using? 1x1's on a 12" sheet? are they glass, if so is the glass backed or is it clear. have you considered grinding the plastic flange away from the face of the pool and then just tiling up to the edge of the skimmer? You would then not need to worry about going over the plastic at all.

Good luck

Mike

Hi Mike!
I looked up Opticolour but they don't sell it here yet what it seems. I coulden't find it in their catalogue though. I have already started with the tileing and I bought Kerapoxy for the grouting and Elestrorapid to mount the tile with. I actually skipped the mapelastic after I've read in Mapei's catalouge that sealent is not necessary if the concrete is correct made and the pool is reinforced for the purpose. I have been very careful in all the steps so far so I skipped the mapelastic, not just for the cost but also for the bonding of the tile to the wall. That must be better without, that's how I see it anyway.
Mike I would love to get as many tips on how to apply the epoxy grouting as possible. So if you have the time please teach me!

As I said have I started to mount the tile and the meassurement of the pool is better than I could hope for. So far the difference is not more then a few millimeters on a 7m lengths.

regards Mats![attachment=2:169gejas]KaklingIMG_4164.gif[/attachment:169gejas][attachment=1:169gejas]KaklingIMG_4163.gif[/attachment:169gejas][attachment=0:169gejas]KaklingIMG_4166.gif[/attachment:169gejas]

Attachments

• KaklingIMG_4164.gif
    KaklingIMG_4164.gif
    163.4 KB · Views: 556
  • KaklingIMG_4163.gif
    KaklingIMG_4163.gif
    159.4 KB · Views: 554
  • KaklingIMG_4166.gif
    KaklingIMG_4166.gif
    190.1 KB · Views: 550
i would check and see if opticolor can be used in a pool and swap out that kerapoxy if you can. Here is the link to the data sheet on opticolor.

http://www.mapei.it/Referenze/Multimedi ... EA.pdf.pdf

When you use kerapoxy you really should use a grout release or you will have a heck of a time getting it completely removed from the surface of the tile.

here is the data sheet on kerapoxy.

http://www.mapei.it/Referenze/Multimedi ... TDS_EA.pdf

Again, opticolor is a tile guys savior when it comes to epoxy grouts. Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.