Concrete pool up north

Hi again!
We had beautyful spring weather this weekend and I could for the first time really feel what a good feeling it must be to have your own pool in you backyard. So to speed up the process getting there I applied for vacation early this year. A few weeks in May will do the trick with the pool, or what do you think 8)

I have started to isolate the pool walls and have also filled in all the wholes from the bars on the inside. Isolation work doesen't take to much time, so I don't think it would be unreal to think that I can start with the stairs in a few weeks time, that is next in line after the isolation. This is something I'm really looking forward to and also a big step to a finish product :-D

Unfortunately will I go away a week and a half in buisness with start tomorrow so there will be no progress on my building for a while. So this is the last pictures for a while.

Take care!
[attachment=2:1f67htxl]Started to isolate the pool 1IMG_4628.gif[/attachment:1f67htxl][attachment=1:1f67htxl]Started to isolate the pool 1IMG_4631.gif[/attachment:1f67htxl][attachment=0:1f67htxl]Started to isolate the pool 1IMG_4629.gif[/attachment:1f67htxl]

Attachments

• Started to isolate the pool 1IMG_4628.gif
    Started to isolate the pool 1IMG_4628.gif
    185.8 KB · Views: 1,224
  • Started to isolate the pool 1IMG_4631.gif
    Started to isolate the pool 1IMG_4631.gif
    237 KB · Views: 1,228
  • Started to isolate the pool 1IMG_4629.gif
    Started to isolate the pool 1IMG_4629.gif
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,227
Hi!
A short update on the status of my build! I have started to fill up on the outside after I've mounted a protection carpet on the outside of the cellular plastic. That will keep the isolation from getting wet.
I will start with the plumbing later today! First a few more wheelbarrows of sand :shock:

Take care :wave:

[attachment=0:136ofkjb]fill up on the outsideIMG_4638.gif[/attachment:136ofkjb]

Attachments

• fill up on the outsideIMG_4638.gif
    fill up on the outsideIMG_4638.gif
    262.1 KB · Views: 1,171
I'm tell'in ya I have been watching your build and I'm amazed! I can't wait to see it completed! 8) I know you can't either!

I have to reply to your inspirationally posts. I have said it before! I could never beforehand guess that you would find my pool build so interesting, But I'm very glad that you did :-D Thanks!

I connected the hoses to the pools inlet today. This is the first time I have done something like that so I'm a little worried that I have'nt done it good enough. I have used a tape on the sockets threads and silicone paste in order to get it tight. We use a 4,8mm hose over here, a little different from what I have seen you use on your builds from various pics. This hose is so stiff that it's impossible to handle it alone. My oldest daughter helped me to keep it in place while I stucked it in the inlet. If I haven't got it tight it's not deep down(400mm), that's good.
When I think about it could I make a frame of wood that I could put infront of the connnection so I can see if it tight or not before I finally put the dirt over it. I actually think that could be worth while so I don't have to worry if it's is a small leak or not.

Dave I forgott to thank you wife for helping me out with my refills on my testkit. Say hallo from me please.

regards Mats

Here is a short update folks!
I have now decided and set how the stairs gonna look like after much shillyshally. Many thanks to Gooserider who talked me into keep building with straight lines. I do love curves on many things in life :shock: but I think he was is right regarding our pool. Anyway we will never find out the opposite since I already started to build them.
My lovely wife found out a nice shape that I will follow. I will mold everything, and this picture shows the first step(ledge) where it will be about 7" of water. On the right side(seen from inside the pool) will the steps goes down in to the pool. So the last step will have the whole pools width and the first step will be around 54"wide.

Regards from a sunny sweden :-D
[attachment=2:31rdt7zo]TrappaIMG_4651.gif[/attachment:31rdt7zo]
[attachment=1:31rdt7zo]TrappaIMG_4653.gif[/attachment:31rdt7zo]
[attachment=0:31rdt7zo]TrappaIMG_4654.gif[/attachment:31rdt7zo]

Attachments

• TrappaIMG_4651.gif
    TrappaIMG_4651.gif
    153.2 KB · Views: 1,035
  • TrappaIMG_4653.gif
    TrappaIMG_4653.gif
    242.5 KB · Views: 1,035
  • TrappaIMG_4654.gif
    TrappaIMG_4654.gif
    248.3 KB · Views: 1,033
Came in a minute ago after worked the whole day with molding the ledge.
I mixed the concrete myself with a cement mixer. Not worth the saving if I would have known beforehand how much extra work it is. But now it's done :-D The frame collapsed(just a little bit) by the pressure of the concrete. I don't think it will show unless you know about it, after all the whole ledge will be covered with water. But never underestimate the force of concrete is a lesson I learned from today's incident :goodjob:
//Mats
[attachment=2:25jizsjc]molding ledgeIMG_4655.gif[/attachment:25jizsjc]
[attachment=1:25jizsjc]molding ledgeIMG_4656.gif[/attachment:25jizsjc]
[attachment=0:25jizsjc]molding ledgeIMG_4657.gif[/attachment:25jizsjc]

Attachments

• molding ledgeIMG_4655.gif
    molding ledgeIMG_4655.gif
    202 KB · Views: 953
  • molding ledgeIMG_4656.gif
    molding ledgeIMG_4656.gif
    258.8 KB · Views: 950
  • molding ledgeIMG_4657.gif
    molding ledgeIMG_4657.gif
    252.8 KB · Views: 952
Mats,

A while back you were talking about the viability of solar panels. My neighbor has solar and I do not (yet). Yesterday his pool was 90 deg and mine was only 74. It's not a 100% apples to apples comparison because his surface is a bit darker than mine.

I know it's just one data point but, in general, solar panel are awesome.

Regards,

Kevin

Hi Kevin!
I hate to say it but I think you're right about the water level on the ledge.
If the pool is filled up to it's max level,(allowed by the skimmmers) it will be 7" on the ledge. The reason for it's height is to get a pleasant first step in the pool. Something my wife spoke her self warm about! When we have installed our wood deck it's gonna be a 12" deep first step from the deck into the pool as it is constructed this way. I don't know how a step higher than 12" would feel like. But If I could turn back time I probably added a few inches of water on the ledge. But done is done!
I have since I read your reply measured very carefully how much of the private parts :shock: 7" of water will cover. It's actually appears deeper than I thought it would when sitting on the ledge. I have to be careful to have the pool well filled I guess.

I have now started to build the frame for the stairs. This time I will make the construction stable enough. Don't make the same misstake twice :goodjob: A good thing is that litte out of meassure the ledge became beacuse of the frames instabillities will be covered by the stairs. That we like 8)

Pictures comes when the frame work is done!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One thing I don't quite get, is what is the structure under the ledge? Is it hollow? Or did you fill that entire space behind the block wall with cement? :shock:

If it is hollow, how likely is that space to fill with water leaking in from the main pool? Could it be a place where water could either sit and stagnate, or potentially freeze and cause damage?

Too late now, but I would have thought that would be the sort of structure it would have been easier to design into the pool and cast as part of the walls, however as long as it works...

Gooserider

Hi gooserider!
No, it's not hollow. I filled it with sand wich I carefully compacted. That is a normal way to go when you mold an area big as that. To fill the whole space with concrete is nothing you do for various reasons. The pool itself doesen't leak so if some water slip in to the sand and make that wet doesen't matter construction wise.
I will do the same with the steps except I will use cellular plastic, since I can form that after the shape of the steps. But the principle is the same, to avoid using more concrete than necessary.

Henry Porter said:
Hi gooserider!
No, it's not hollow. I filled it with sand wich I carefully compacted. That is a normal way to go when you mold an area big as that. To fill the whole space with concrete is nothing you do for various reasons. The pool itself doesen't leak so if some water slip in to the sand and make that wet doesen't matter construction wise.
I will do the same with the steps except I will use cellular plastic, since I can form that after the shape of the steps. But the principle is the same, to avoid using more concrete than necessary.

OK, the sand makes sense, as I would have hated to fill that much space w/ concrete, as you said.... However I am still somewhat concerned about the idea of water getting into the sand, perhaps without good reason...

1. If the sand is wet and it freezes, could it expand and cause damage to anything?

2. Could water getting into that area stagnate and become a source for nasty bugs (either germs or just pool slime causing) getting back into the main pool water?

Could well be that neither of these is a problem, but they struck me as possible issues.

Gooserider

Hi Gooserider!
I had the same concern before I decided to use sand as a filler inside the form. But after I thought about it a bit I'm now pretty sure that it won't coause me any problems in the future. I can't see how anything can travell through 6" of solid concrete and two layers of sealant in form of an epoxi coating. Without knowing for sure I think this is an adequate way to do it.

I have today finished the stairs. The form was solid as a rock so everything went well :goodjob: Even this time did I mix the concrete myself with a cement mixer but this time was I helped by a good friend of mine. I count with a little hassle to get the flat part of the stairs leveled beacuse of how I build the form. But my main concerne this time was to get the form stable in order to get the vertical steps perfect. So I might have a little grinding on the flat stairs waiting for me after the form is teared of.
[attachment=2:23fuyud4]TrappaIMG_3287.gif[/attachment:23fuyud4]
[attachment=1:23fuyud4]TrappaIMG_3288.gif[/attachment:23fuyud4]
[attachment=0:23fuyud4]TrappaIMG_3289.gif[/attachment:23fuyud4]

Attachments

• TrappaIMG_3287.gif
    TrappaIMG_3287.gif
    203.5 KB · Views: 727
  • TrappaIMG_3288.gif
    TrappaIMG_3288.gif
    220.4 KB · Views: 726
  • TrappaIMG_3289.gif
    TrappaIMG_3289.gif
    222.7 KB · Views: 727
I can't help but say that I'm very excited to see this pool completed! I just can't wait! *squeal* :mrgreen:

Since you like pics :-D
Took off the form today. Was as I expected! Vertical steps perfectly straight but the flat side needs a little work. Will put on fine concrete on those as soon as the concrete on the steps has shrinked.
Second pic shows how I have sealed the water protection carpet on the top. Totally useless information but still 8)

[attachment=1:3a0zz9c8]platonIMG_3290.gif[/attachment:3a0zz9c8][attachment=0:3a0zz9c8]platonIMG_3291.gif[/attachment:3a0zz9c8]

Attachments

• platonIMG_3290.gif
    platonIMG_3290.gif
    216.6 KB · Views: 676
  • platonIMG_3291.gif
    platonIMG_3291.gif
    175.7 KB · Views: 672
Hi Kevin!
We gonna tile the waterline and paint the rest with epoxy. Either in a white shade or a light pool blue. Tile colour is not yet decided, I leave that decision to my wife 8) There are so many nice combinations on this site so I get dizzy, but if I would vote for something I must say that I'm a little weak for Piecses choice, but as I said there are many other combos that are nice aswell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.