Is my new pump too big

Jun 5, 2015
reno/NV
Have been slamming my pool at opening for awhile now. Pool is blue but very cloudy. Suspect problem is the new pump I got for free. Unfortunately I have little experience with sizing pumps, head calcs, etc.... Old pump was

Magnetek Century Centurion B124, 2.0HP SF 1.20
New pump is Whisperflo WFE-6 1.5HP SF 2.21
Filter is old Baker Hydro HRV-24 (3.14 sq.ft) , filter rate 47-63GPM, max psi 50, (running at 19 psi on new pump, closer to 15 on older pump)

Can anyone confirm or alleviate my fears that this new pump is to big for my filter?

PH 7.4
Alk 110
FC 15
CC<.05
CYA 20-40
CH 220
Borates 45? Thanks to TFP for introducing me to borates. Last season they made my life much easier

Although your pump is clearly too big and could possibly damage the filter, to clear the pool, you need to continue to SLAM. A cloudy pool really has almost nothing to do with the pump.

im considering piping a second pump in parallel to simulate a 2 speed pump. I have the older Magnetek unit still, so I can swap the motor. any recommendations on adding a low flow pump? Should I replace my sand filter with a larger model?

There is no pool pump that will emulate low speed of a two speed pump. But if you don't want to spend a lot of money, a simple solution is to replace the pump impeller with a smaller one. You probably don't need more than a 1/2 HP equivalent so you can go with that impeller. The part number is in the Whisperflo manual. Replace the seal while you are at it.

I would not swap out the motor for a VS replacement because I think the reliability is a little less than desirable but for the Whisperflo and a 2 speed, you will want the B2983 motor.

Error in original post
Old pump is Magnetec Century B124 2HP SF 1.2 = 2.4THP American Products Americana pump circa 1980
Newer pump is Whisperflo WFE-6 1.5HP SF 1.49=2.2HP
suction has 2x1 1/2" lines totaling approx 45'
return is 2" with 3 return ports
Pump sits approx. 12" above water line

I found a Magnetec Century motor in the garage. (Jacuzzi pump attached, no basket) Donated from friends spa. BN37
1 to 1/8 H.P. Is this too small? Can it mount to the Whisperflo pump? Can it mount to my old Americana pump?
▪ 2 speed Above Ground pool & Spa motor
▪ 3450/1725RPM
▪ Power-Flo LX 1500 Power-Flo II 1700 Power-Flo UN
▪ 115volts
▪ 11.0/2.0 amps
▪ 48Y Frame
▪ 60HZ
▪ single phase, with automatic overload protection
▪ Service Factor - 1.0
▪ Rigid Base, Drip Proof enclosure, Thru bolt mount
▪ Rigid Base Mount Welded to Motor Case
▪ Class B insulation
▪ CCW Non-Reversible, Ball Bearings
▪ Shaft : 1/2" Diameter with 3/8" threads

Impellers as well as most parts are not usually interchangeable outside of the same pump line so it may not fit and could interfere with the diffuser.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sure you can downsize the impeller too. As small as you want. The smaller you go, the less power will be used. But flow rates decrease too so I just want to make sure you don't have any high flow rate features (e.g. spa waterfalls).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.