AG Pool Cover that does not dump debris in the pool - would this work??

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
Every year I knock my head against this same wall and I want to see if there is a solution I am missing:

I heat my pool so need it covered every night. I work all day, so it usually stays covered during the work day and then I remover the solar cover as the kids are clamoring to get in after work. In order to be able to maneuver the solar cover by myself, I have cut it into three strip, each about 12 feet wide and maybe 18 feet long. Still pretty big to handle, especially when partially water-covered.

THE PROBLEM: in the course of removing the cover(s), all of the tree debris that has accumulated over night and all day goes into the water. Drives me nuts. Anyone else have this? Anyone figure out a solution yet?

PROPOSED SOLUTION: I am considering scrapping the solar cover(s) and using some sort of gigantic tarp (or maybe a winter cover made for a poo??) that will completely cover the pool and overhang all four sides of my 16 x 32 foot rectangular AG. Then clamp the tarp to the top rail in a bunch of spots. When I get home from work, take a leaf blower and blow it all off the top and onto the ground next to the pool. Take it off, and it seems pool water should stay clean. Sound like a plan?? Biggest issue I can foresee is if it rains -- but since I've never had a winter cover, I don't know if it there is a good way to squeegee or blow the water off -- or would that be a deal-breaker that would end up being even harder to maneuver and still dump all the debris in my warm water??

Thanks for any help!

Yep, this is also a problem for me. When there are a lot of leaves on the cover, I use a net or the leaf rake to put them in a pile and then, I toss then a bucket. I get about 95%. I don't know about the net but seems like to much hassle for me.

Stay the debris to the skimmer with your water hose and a high pressured nozzle. Then remove the solar blanket.

take a cheap hand skimmer off its pole and "let" your kids clean the surface, most of that should be floating leaves, right?

if it is stuff that sinks, get a cheap battery operated spa vacuum and again "let" your kids "play" clean-clean-the-bottom.

Still might try my idea - if I can get the tarp taut enough the water should not pool in the center and maybe it would work. But not sure I could get it taut enough.

Or might try to devise some other "hard" cover - maybe the foam insulation and pvc. Can you tell I really don't like that junk in my pool? We often have company meeting us at home right about when we also get home, for an evening swim with the kids. No real time to clean the pool and it stinks to have them swim in gunk.

I will try the spray to the skimmer idea, Casey. Do you do that and does it work, or are you just thinking of ideas?

The kids do help a bit with skimming it off the surface when the cover is removed, but they tire of it fast and inevitably a lot is left to get soaked and end up on the bottom so the next day there is stuff on the floor and on the surface when the cover is removed. I don't usually vacuum on weeknights and I can't use the robot on days when it can rain, which lately has been every day.

Thanks - and feel free to add more ideas or solutions if you've got them.

I saw a thread here on helpful hints n tricks. I can't remember where It's at but it was posted in there and others have used it. I don't have any trees by my pool so I don't get a lot of debris unless it's really storming out n the wind is vicious.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.