Commercial Test Comparisons

May 31, 2015
Demorest, GA
I did a comparison today of my local pool supply, my Ace Hardware Pool tests along with my new Taylor K-2006 test kit. Here are my results:

Georgia Pool Supply Company;
FC=0.3
CC=0.3
pH=7.8
TA=169
CH=180
CYA=60
Recommendations: 2.75lbs. Lo 'N Slo, 2 bags Burn Out 3

Ace Hardware Pool Analysis
FC=0.8
CC=0.2
pH=7.3
TA=137
CH=220
CYA=45
Recommendations: Add 1 gal. 1pt. 5.0oz. muraitic acid or 11lb.10.0oz. O-Ace-sis Minus and add 3.0oz. and =>O-Ace-sis Chlorinating sticks or tablets.

My Test
FC=1.2
CC=0.2
pH=7.2
TA=150
CH=200
CYA=45

As you can see the Ace Hardware tests seem to be more inline.
I also noticed that Ace has a Cyanuric acid reducer available. I should probably make a new thread on this but it was $40gal. and stated a reduction of 60ppm per 10,000gal. if I recall correctly. It was of the O-Ace-sis brand name but did not state ingredients but a patent pending.

Forget the pool store testing and the ace store testing we don't believe it anyways. Search the forum for the CYA reducer there are lots of them discussing how it is not apparently living up to the hype.

Just another brick in the giant wall of evidence that we use to say get your own test kit. Even if Ace was close, what happens if you go in tomorrow and a new person is working the test counter? No way to know if they get it right or not without your own kit.

As for CYA reducer, are you sure it wasn't chlorine reducer? AFAIK there is only one supposed CYA reducer on the market now, Bioactive, and it has been a real letdown. I didn't see anything on the O-Ace-sis website.

One gallon of Acid in 20K with a current pH of 7.3? A shining example of why NOT to trust these vendors.

I bet pool stores have screwed up more pools then one could imagine. That's their way of selling you more junk you don't need at all especially if you go the BBB route.
Glad I found this site the same time I purchased house with pool. Had it re-plastered 6 weeks ago and couldn't ask for more perfect water using the BBB method. All numbers are spot on. Of course I treat it like a new born baby...:D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.