I have carbonation-like bubbles all over the walls of my liner. What causes that?

We have had our above-ground pool for 2 years now. This year, I've been trying to do the "Trouble-free method". So far, everything is going along fine as far as chemicals being correct. However, we have bubbles all over the side of the pool. If you're in the pool more than 10 minutes and look down, they are all over you, too! They are like carbonation bubbles from a Coke or something. Do you know what may be causing it?

Water temp 85
FC 7.0
CC 7.0
pH 7.6
TA 220
CH 60
CYA 70

I don't have a SWG. And yes, I did add acid about a week ago. I can't remember if that's when the bubbles started.

About my CC being 7, I'm not positive about it. My test kit says to check my FC, which is WAY yelliw, so it's above my measurement line. Then it says to wait 2 minutes and that will ne my measurement for CC. It doesn't change color after 2 minutes... still very yellow.

I'll try to attach pics.

I believe it is outgassing as well. The bubbles are probably more likely to form on the walls that face the sun. When the water heats up, the air (O2, N2, CO2) comes out of solution and forms bubbles.

I hadn't thought about the bubbles being on one side or another, but that's right... they seemed to be on the east side and the sun was starting to go down in the west. I'll have to look at that again! Makes perfect sense!

Here are two pics of my testing. One was taken at 6:01 this afternoon and one was taken at 6:05. Do I need to stop the chlorine for a while? We took off the inline chlorinator because it kept leaking. I am only use a large floater now. Is it possible that my FC can be the same as my CC? I have one of the Poolmaster 5-way test kits.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150606_180141.jpg
    20150606_180141.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 233
  • 20150606_180530.jpg
    20150606_180530.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 226

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hadn't thought about the bubbles being on one side or another, but that's right... they seemed to be on the east side and the sun was starting to go down in the west. I'll have to look at that again! Makes perfect sense!

Here are two pics of my testing. One was taken at 6:01 this afternoon and one was taken at 6:05. Do I need to stop the chlorine for a while? We took off the inline chlorinator because it kept leaking. I am only use a large floater now. Is it possible that my FC can be the same as my CC? I have one of the Poolmaster 5-way test kits.

attachment.php
attachment.php
The math is
FC + CC = TC
TC - FC = CC
TC - CC = FC

In a perfectly balanced idea-world pool, CC will be zero, so FC and TC should be absolutely identical.

As far as how high is the FC? Good question... With 70 - and constantly rising due to pucks in the floater - CYA, your minimum FC is 5 (and constantly rising due to pucks in the floater) and your target is 8 or so. Oops, your tester makes it kind of hard to tell if that shade is closer to 2 or 5. That's a pretty big jump there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.