Grrrrr help before I rip my hair out!!!!

May 4, 2015
Carbondale, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Okay I have a Dr. Wellness X-12 Lifestyle Spa with a Prozone CSS-5 Complete Sanitation System. Meaning it produces both the ozone and the chlorine. I got this thing in November and I guess never really did it right on either fill. Initial or when I dumped and refilled. The first time, I skipped a whole section of the manual and blindly dissolved about 9 pounds of salt, and dumped it into it and had chlorine levels through the roof along with other numbers that were off the charts according the pool store. Thus beginning a vicious cycle of running back and forth to the the pool store and emptying water and adding water and adding this chemical and that chemical and blah blah blah blah.

Fast forward to March and complete empty. This time we run that spa clean chemical stuff through it before we do. However, upon refill we still blindly follow the pool stores advice again. Yeah guess what? Uh-huh weekly back and forth because although I had test strips, and the small kit, nothing I was testing at home was matching what they were telling me at the store. So more buying stuff and not really knowing what the status was.

So here we are again. Armed with a lot more knowledge. In fact, so much knowledge that I purchased my k-2006 kit and got my pool up and running and with just some bleach and it is doing fantastic. I guess I can thank all of this ripping my hair out over my spa for that and a few posts here of course! Anyway, I guess all of this up and down and unbalanced water and all the other bs and the crazy winter did its job and my pump started making some horrible horrible noises. My husband called and they sent us a new one to switch it out. And my red lights stopped working so they sent something for that. Anyway I digress. Hubby emptied the hot tub at my insistence, even though he didn't have to in order to change the pump. I am in Nashville and will be walking him through everything in PA, from here. This time, I want to make sure we get it all right. Dealing with the salt is a whole different beast than dealing with the pool. I did purchase the salt test kit from Taylor so we can get the accurate results versus trying to use strips like before. No more pool store for us. One thing in the manufacturer instructions has me really really confused though???? Why in heavens name would I shock to 20PPM if I am adding tap water?? Or am I reading that incorrectly and that is just if you are using old water and installing the system to it?? I have all my other numbers tested. My ph is in range. So do I dissolve and add my salt and get that and my chlorine evened out and then the rest of my numbers or do I get the rest (alk, ch, cya) and then do the salt and chlorine? Does anyone have any experience with this that can help me out before I eff it all up again? Thank you so much!!!!!

wow, long post :) go with your gut, you know whats right, and stop going to the pool store unless you need a headache...

use poolmath, it makes it easy http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Get your PH to 7.4
add CYA to 30ppm
add chlorine to 2ppm
balance everything else
dump salt in spa
run for 24 hours on low ( you need to dissolve it)
turn on salt water generator
test daily
:)

no issues with long posts, most people see long posts and don't get through them, that's all :)

as long as the spa is above 90 degrees, pour the salt in and leave it on high for 30 minutes and it will be dissolved.. I also splurge and buy the pool salt for the hot tub as it dissolves faster...

still wait 24 hours to turn on your SWG

Bacteria can grow much faster in a hot tub than a pool, and it can hide in little nooks and crevices and piping joins, where it can be protected from the circulating chlorinated water. And during a drain/cleaning/refill, the bacteria can be multiplying in the pipes because the water isn't flowing. So super-chlorinating a tub after a drain/clean/refill is a common suggestion, and isn't a bad idea. But as long as you are maintaining your water according to the Chlorine/CYA chart (maybe adding 1 to the minimum ppm due to the speed of bacteria growth), I doubt that such a high level of super-chlorination is necessary.

If you do decide to super-chlorinate, just leave the pump running and the cover off, and the excess chlorine will dissipate within a day or two.

Interesting-looking product. How long has it been around?

And I realized I got my last post backwards. Super-chlorination is usually done before draining, like 30 minutes before, to minimize any detrimental effects on heater coils, etc. It's been a year since I did a full drain, so I'd forgotten an important detail. Sorry about that.

Doing a search on super-chlorinating a spa brings up some interesting discussions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.