Closing With An Automatic Cover

fponzani

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2008
Last night's snow here in Northeast Ohio was the kick in the pants I needed to get my self-built vinyl liner pool winterized. We turned the heat off mid September and the automatic cover has been closed since then. Last night the temps just barely made it to freezing, so I haven't sustained any damage, but I need finish up this week.

Here's what I'm dealing with. I'm using the autocover as the winter cover. The installer said that's ok, as long as I keep the water pumped off as much as possible and don't try to open it until ALL the ice has melted in the spring. However, I can't remember what he said what the winter water level needs to be for proper support of the cover. I tried to call him, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Plus, I'd like to get input from those on this board.

As far as the rest of the procedures, I guess that depends on the water level. If the water needs to be above the bottom of the skimmers, I was going to use plastic jugs weighted down with bricks in the skimmers. I figured I would blow out the lines (returns and skimmers) through the drain on the pumb and plug them at the pool, plus shut the valves. I guess my only option with the main drain would be to blow it out and close the valve.

I'd appreciate any advice, especially regarding the automatic cover.

BTW - here's my chemistry today:

FC 13
CC 0.5
TC 13.5
PH 7.5
TA 110
CH 140
CYA 40

The water needs to be high enough to support the cover. How high that is depends on exactly how your pool was made. Typically, you have to have the water level close to the bottom of the skimmer to give enough support, though that varies depending on how high the cover track is relative to the skimmer.

I would go ahead and plug the skimmers and put in the weighted jugs even if the water is slightly below the skimmer openings. There is always a chance that water will get into the pool somehow and raise the water level enough to fill the skimmers.

I have an automatic pool cover and the manual indicates lowering the water level no more than 6 inches. However, to close for the winter, it is necessary for my pool water level to be lowered further than that. As a result, the pool cover does not close completely, as it does not have the support of the water to help it glide. In order to keep winter debris out of the pool during the winter, i cover the 3"-4" gap left by the cover with water bags.

The guy who I've brought the house from mentioned this was a problem with an automatic cover.
He drops the water just below the skimmer and uses pipes with 90 degree angles for the return holes. He can then winterize his pool and have the cover supported by the weight of the water on heavy snow days.

You can just see one at the back right of the pool going into the water. He then just uses a shop vac until no more mist is coming out of them upon closure. Seems to work...

I thought it was quite a good idea and will not take much water when opening.
3388708874_63d97d234b.jpg

Danny

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.