If it's not algae, but pollen, does that filter out?

pisymbol

Gold Supporter
Jul 11, 2014
NJ
I've have what I believe to be a pollen problem that has carried over from last season. All my numbers look fine, my ONCT last night was 0 loss, 0 CC, water is crystal clear. BUT I sill see what I believe to be pollen accumulating on the floor (brushing just slightly near it has it pop up off the floor instantly).

I just had a new DE filter installed replacing the 18 year old one that I inherited with the house (built in '97). So now I'm asking myself, why isn't the pollen being filtered out? It is always accumulates in approximately the same spots. Could this be a flow issue and I just don't have enough jet speed to push the pollen into my filtration system?

I did have green algae when I opened up but I performed a constant SLAM until I passed the ONCT but even during the SLAM, I saw it accumulate over a few days. Not sure how to handle it.

For S&Gs, last night I slammed my pool:

FC 26!
CYA 40-50 (it's hard)
ph 7.2 (before SLAM)

This morning it was still 26 with a 0 CC count. So I don't see how green algae could survive or grow (btw, the weather has been cold (mid-50s/low 60s) and overcast here in NJ, so it's not even great weather conditions for algae to grow).

You may have to brush the pollen with the pump running to get it into suspension so the filter can capture it or vac it out. Otherwise, It'll just lay there on the floor.

BTW...
CYA 40-50 (it's hard)
Not sure what's meant by "it's hard" associated with CYA. You're not associating this with hard water, are you? A CYA in the 40-50 range is good for a manually chlorinated pool.

You may have to brush the pollen with the pump running to get it into suspension so the filter can capture it or vac it out. Otherwise, It'll just lay there on the floor.

BTW... Not sure what's meant by "it's hard" associated with CYA. You're not associating this with hard water, are you? A CYA in the 40-50 range is good for a manually chlorinated pool.

maybe its hard to get a good reading :)

Since everything else is up to speed. Put that Z5 in there and suck up whatever is on the pool floor. I would suggest turning the pump off during that particular operation but either way is fine.

If it keeps coming back after you vacuum it, and you detect no pollen on the surface, there is a good chance it is dead algae and you will need to properly SLAM.

Last night my numbers were:

FC: 13/14
CC: 0
ph: 7.2
CYA: 45-50

This morning exactly the same. Yes, the Z5 picks it up.

Yet this is what I see in my pool from time to time (note that if I brush anywhere near it it just pops up, i.e. it does not stick). I see these spots randomly around the pool (sun vs shade makes no difference).

20150606_071204.jpg

Here is what my pool looks like now:

20150606_071135.jpg

Pretty right?

I have the Z5 in it now (as you can see) which should clean everything up. This weekend is going to be too cold to swim in it, so maybe I can SLAM it one more time this week and see what happens. The thing that gets me, is this stuff seems to accumulate even when my FC is near or beyond shock level. I just don't know how it could be algae.

The picture looks precisely like dead algae. Hold your FC up high like you are reporting for a couple of days and I think it will go away with having to SLAM. Unless you see pollen on the surface, I do not believe that's pollen.

The picture looks precisely like dead algae. Hold your FC up high like you are reporting for a couple of days and I think it will go away with having to SLAM. Unless you see pollen on the surface, I do not believe that's pollen.

Yeah, that makes two of us. I will SLAM this week. I will actually over SLAM a touch (I can't add stuff during the day, no one is home so I try to bring it to 22-25 to compensate).

duraleigh, should I brush it off or let the Z5 take it or it doesn't matter?

I have one last question, should I see anymore accumulation of this stuff during the SLAM? i.e. if my FC is like 25, should I see stuff grow back? I am under the belief that I should not at shock level or higher.

3 gallons of LC. I am praying this won't take more than 2-3 days of SLAM to kill whatever is left. I lost this battle last year because I inherited the pool so late in the season (and the pool people were using trichlor, my CYA was like 100+).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pic looks like live, green algae to me. Can you ease a hand down there and see if it's slimy?

That's the strange thing. It is not slimy. And unlike normal green algae, just brushing near it has all of it come right up again. (I guess it could be dead algae)

I just shocked the pool to start another SLAM. My FC should be around 25 now. I ASSUME provided I maintain this level (CYA is 45ish) I shouldn't see even dead algae develop on the bottom, right?

EDIT: Just checked the pool, and the FC count was around 22-23, so I added one more gallon of LC (12.5% sod-hypo) to bring it near yellow mustard shock levels (though I don't believe I have yellow, might be green).

Tonight I plan to test it. Let it sit overnight and see if I pass the ONCT test (again) and if there is anything on the bottom of the pool.

I have the exact same thing I think (see pic link below as I can't seem to insert a picture). It's much better now that I keep my FC = 25 but I still see small traces (clusters) of them in a spot or two after a couple of days of SLAM. This thing just dissolves in agitated water around it as confirmed by "Perry" the polaris's tail. It is dark green almost black-ish. I am a little perplexed too
sanand911's Library | Photobucket

I was having the same thing show up in my pool. When you SLAM'd, did you clean the bottom of your ladder? The nooks and crannies in them can hide algae. I ended up removing mine from the pool, turning it upside down, filling up each step bleach, and left it over night. It cleared up my problem.

I was having the same thing show up in my pool. When you SLAM'd, did you clean the bottom of your ladder? The nooks and crannies in them can hide algae. I ended up removing mine from the pool, turning it upside down, filling up each step bleach, and left it over night. It cleared up my problem.

I did hose it off today. I didn't fill it up with bleach though. I mean I brushed it and hosed it off. I didn't see anything other than dirt. Maybe I should bleach it as well? But how can algae survive on a ladder if I'm at shock?

So tonight's FC is now 20 (it was higher throughout the day) and the water stinks of chlorine.

MY MAIN QUESTION to all of you: I am now clearly at shock level. Tomorrow, regardless of what my FC score is, can algae grow in this environment? I thought the answer was no.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the exact same thing I think (see pic link below as I can't seem to insert a picture). It's much better now that I keep my FC = 25 but I still see small traces (clusters) of them in a spot or two after a couple of days of SLAM. This thing just dissolves in agitated water around it as confirmed by "Perry" the polaris's tail. It is dark green almost black-ish. I am a little perplexed too
sanand911's Library | Photobucket

Mine is not dark green though. It looks like yellow pollen. I was told by the pool guy that opened it (he does a good job so I keep'em, I'm the chemist though) that he has never seen yellow mustard on a vinyl liner in my area. He is seen it on concrete but not vinyl (for whatever reason).

- - - Updated - - -

Pic looks like live, green algae to me. Can you ease a hand down there and see if it's slimy?

It is NO slimy to me.

Here is one more data point: When the FC was at 26ish, I still had accumulation of some sand/pollen like substance on my steps. Tomorrow I should have a pic.

Ok, guys, I turned over the ladder, brushed it down, and then filled each step with bleach/LC (I ran out of bleach). There was green algae on it (a tiny tiny amount). It's out of the pool, the sun is completely down, I'm at FC 20. Cross your fingers.

Well good news: I woke this morning and nothing. No brownish particles on the stairs (a surprise), nothing on the floor, nada.

Bad news: I failed my ONCT. I was 20FC and now I'm at 17.5FC. Unfortunately the sun was on the pool for an hour (I performed the test at 6:45AM EST). Anyway, I zonked in 1.5 gallons of LC to bring it up to past 20, nearer yellow mustard shock levels (but I think that was probably overkill).

Here she is this morning (if the water gets any clearer, it will disappear):

20150607_071653.jpg

Please notice Lochness the Z5 rearing her ugly head! :)

I'm still frustrated that I can't see any visible evidence of algae in it. Hoping today is the last day of the SLAM (it will be 3 days straight).

Pretty looking pool! Perhaps the algae you found in the ladder was your problem. You OLCT loss could be your pool catching up with the remaining algae spores.

You asked how algae can survive in a ladder with the pool at slam level. Even if you had your return jet pointed directly at your installed ladder, the nooks and crannies in the ladder steps do not get much, if any, flow. No flow, no chlorine exposure. The only way to ensure flow in them would be to lay the ladder on the floor of the pool, with the bottom of the steps pointed towards the return jet at a slight angle.

Pretty looking pool! Perhaps the algae you found in the ladder was your problem. You OLCT loss could be your pool catching up with the remaining algae spores.

You asked how algae can survive in a ladder with the pool at slam level. Even if you had your return jet pointed directly at your installed ladder, the nooks and crannies in the ladder steps do not get much, if any, flow. No flow, no chlorine exposure. The only way to ensure flow in them would be to lay the ladder on the floor of the pool, with the bottom of the steps pointed towards the return jet at a slight angle.

So far so good. I don't see anything at the bottom of the pool or the stairs now. I am praying I pass tonight's OLCT. Gonna SLAM until then.

Thanks everyone (I owe this site a donation too).

You're looking good! Don't stop til you pass the OCLT!

ARRRRGH! I ran out of R-0871 this morning. I couldn't finish the test. I'm going nuts. Last night my CYA was 35-40 and my FC was 18. So I just dumped a gallon of LC to raise it and I'm leaving the filter on.

Inspection this morning showed NO SIGNS of anything living in the pool. I mean this thing is clean as a whistle. I won't get more until probably Wednesday (my complete refill kit is on order with TF-100).

Any advice what I should do in this situation? (I called everywhere looking for this reagent and no one has it).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.